Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Test train in Azusa, CA today...

Date: 11/18/12 18:30
BNSF Test train in Azusa, CA today...
Author: PasadenaSub

As a followup to my thread on Friday night:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2919804

I headed over to Azusa around 2pm, and after talking with the UMASS/Kiewit crews found out the train would be arriving from the east around 3pm.

1) Looking east from the Pasadena Ave. grade crossing, the head of the old Santa Fe ABS signal was turned to the side.

2) I heard the train approaching, being referred to as BNSF 145 West "Pasadena Local". However, since they would be stopping for a job briefing with the track crews about a mile east of my location - I first caught him at the Barranca Ave. crossing in Glendora. Just as guessed, the 'train' was a light engine of GP60Ms 145 and 132. No warbonnets, but at least nice clean heritage units w/o graffiti.

3) Over the next hour, the train would make 6 passes back and forth at 40mph with crews manning each grade crossing with 'stop' signs as the new GC systems were checked. It's been a while since I've seen the local go this fast through Azusa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/12 18:43 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/18/12 18:34
Re: BNSF Test train in Azusa, CA today...

4) At the Azusa Avenue grade crossing, with the old Santa Fe depot out of the picture to the right.

5) Just east of the Santa Fe depot at the Alameda Ave. crossing. The clouds in the background with the sun on the train provided some nice storm lighting today.

6) Yet another pass at full speed, at Dalton Avenue.

Date: 11/18/12 18:39

7) Going away on the next pass at Dalton Ave.

8) Back at Pasadena Avenue, with the pair approaching for another westbound pass.

9) The last pass of the day, with the train eastbound at Pasadena Ave.

Date: 11/18/12 18:42

10) One last shot, and the track crews go home to watch football (with double-time pay to boot).

With the new grade crossing system in place, the local should be able to keep up the 40 mph pace, at least through Azusa. More upheaval is on its way when the old 2nd District line gets relocated to the south to accomodate the double-track Metro Gold Line at some point in the future.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Date: 11/18/12 19:54
Author: MarcelineSub

Why the new generic numbers on 145 but the previous gen paint? I don't think any of these units have been renumbered in years if at all.

Date: 11/18/12 20:25
Author: MrMRL

MarcelineSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the new generic numbers on 145 but the
> previous gen paint? I don't think any of these
> units have been renumbered in years if at all.

Not sure what you're referencing. The numbers don't appear to have changed on BNSF 145 since it's repaint from Santa Fe Warbonnet back in 2003.

BNSF 145 fron 2007 - http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=745515

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/18/12 20:51
Author: MarcelineSub

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MarcelineSub Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why the new generic numbers on 145 but the
> > previous gen paint? I don't think any of these
> > units have been renumbered in years if at all.
>
>
> Not sure what you're referencing. The numbers
> don't appear to have changed on BNSF 145 since
> it's repaint from Santa Fe Warbonnet back in
> 2003.
>
> BNSF 145 fron 2007 -
> http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?
> id=745515
>
> Mr. MRL

I thought they had retained the more Times New Roman vs Arial Black font numbering, I guess I hit my head or something. If you look at the older BN and ATSF looking fonts I call that Times New Roman and the new stuff coming out looks similar to Arial Black, and very generic or bland to me.

Date: 11/19/12 07:47
Author: Des-Lab

Great stuff Rich. Thanks for the crossing shots! :-)

Now we just need to get some new signal shots. So with the new system, will it still be ABS or will it be CTC also? Are they doing it just in Azusa or will Glendora, San Dimas, etc also get new signals? Inquiring minds want to know.

Date: 11/19/12 15:58
Author: DNRY122

For those who miss the old "Roman" font, one place that seems to stay with the traditional graphics is the Sacramento Light Rail system. I've never had it confirmed, but I suspect this is a legacy from the late Cameron Beach.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.071 seconds