Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > FRS coal mty 4 Aces, some UP, eclectic LAUDEN

Date: 11/18/12 22:19
FRS coal mty 4 Aces, some UP, eclectic LAUDEN
Author: highgreengraphics

Today right at sunrise, BNSF ran a northbound coal empty up the Front Range Subdivision through Fort Collins, CO, with two shiny new Aces on the point, and two more as DPU's. Time for a chase to Cheyenne!

Photo 1 - Before the sunrise fills in the tree shadows, the coal empty rolls over the Cache La Poudre River in Fort Collins, CO, the units even shine in the shade!

Photo 2 - Sunrise glints off the flanks of the coal empty as it rolls away from Fort Collins which shows in the background, and the distant, at the foot of the mountains CSU Huges Football Stadium can be seen above the first coal hopper.

Photo 3 - New units roll over the old bridge with the coal empty, south of Owl Canyon Siding, north of Wellington, CO.

There's mooore...

Date: 11/18/12 22:25
Re: FRS coal mty 4 Aces, some UP, eclectic LAUDEN

Photo 4 - The northbound coal empty rolls over the spindly-looking wood trestle just south of the Wyoming State Line.

Photo 5 - Here are the equally new DPU's bringing up the rear, all state-of-the-art power on a NOT so state-of-the-art bridge!

Photo 6 - Whiling away some time while waiting for a southbound to leave the ex-C&S yard to follow it back south, here is a UP stacker at the big curve approaching Sherman, WY.

There's mooore...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/12 23:04 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 11/18/12 22:32

Photo 7 - After lunch, a slot train of rip-rap (big rocks) departs Cheyenne, WY under the C&S Bridge on Track 4.

Photo 8 - Another westbound departs Cheyenne, on Track 3.

Photo 9 - And finally, an H LAUDEN with varied power departs Cheyenne on top of the C&S Bridge, passing over UP's Transcon main lines.

Coupla more...

Date: 11/18/12 22:38

Photo 10 - Passing from Wyoming into Colorado at the State Line, next to I-25, heavily populated with billboards.

Photo 11 - After meeting a northbound at Owl Canyon, the LAUDEN is on the fill approaching Owl Canyon Road. These are the very last rays of sun, as it was dark behind me, and the sun was gone by the time the fifth car went over the crossing. Whew!

Happy 4 Aces good hand railfanning! === === = === JLH

Date: 11/18/12 22:44
Author: spdaylight

Wow . . . between the brand new power and the multi paint scheme lash up, I'd say you had a very successful day . . . my vote is for photo 4 as IOTD!

Nice work!

Craig

Date: 11/19/12 04:35
Author: rrartist

Very nice Jim!!! Very nice!

Date: 11/19/12 08:44
Author: MaximumRails

Nice set of shots Jim!

Date: 11/19/12 10:35
Author: dendavis

" the spindly-looking wood trestle just south of the Wyoming State Line."

That was a perfect frame element for the photo, just beautiful!

Date: 11/19/12 13:43

Thanks for the really nice comments! I was driving all the way down to the spindly trestle with a big grin on my face knowing I had a goodie coming up. The light was close to perfect, the wind wasn't blowing, and the sky was largely blue. At first I was bummed that all 4 new Aces were not together, then I remembered the length of this trestle was nearly exactly two unit lengths. If there were four Aces together, I would have had to stand back too far at the trestle location and the photo would not compose as well. Somebody PM'ed me wanting to know how to access the trestle and Photo 11. The trestle is just park off the shoulder on I-25 at the Wyoming State Line, hop the fence and walk the 1/4 mile or so across the prairie pasture to the bridge, leave yourself some advance time. Photo 11 is right off Owl Canyon Road, an exit off I-25, just run up a small embankment on the NW quadrant of the crossing for that afternoon shot, and right below is the morning shot horse barn I have posted extensively on TO in the past, with the tracks above and mountains behind. === === = === JLH

Date: 11/19/12 17:24
Author: ns1000

NICE set of pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/19/12 21:10
Author: NH2006

Wow, those made good time! They left Denver at 5am

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1188 seconds