Home Open Account Help 197 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a place called Spence

Date: 11/21/12 09:35
a place called Spence
Author: santafe199

After checking on the status of UP's former depot in Marysville, KS on Monday (19th) I got the urge to explore the mainline between there & Fairbury, NE.
I hop-scotched the main in a NE direction only to find train traffic was sketchy. I managed to shoot the local getting close to Marysville. I suspect this
local is based in Fairbury and makes a turn to Marysville 2 or 3 times a week. I was all the way to just east of Fairbury where I discovered the reason for
the dearth of trains. There was a line-up of track machinery occupying main #2 between Endicott & Fairbury so I "rode on into town fer supplies".

A nutritious meal at Ronnie McD's & a full tank of gas later I took a look at the old Rock Island station. I first laid eyes on this beautiful structure in
the late 70's, but this was the first time I was able to shoot it with no obstructions around it! It usually has local power and a few cars parked in front
of it; probably the same power I shot heading into Marysville earlier. I roamed around town a bit, keeping an eye on the mainline. Checking on the track gangs
I saw they were in their tie-up-for-the-day mode. I stopped for a shot of the old UP Endicott depot and heard a horn to the west. The afternoon rush was about
to begin now that the gangs were out of the way.

I worked my way back to the area around a set of crossovers between Hollenberg & Hanover, KS named "Spence". I caught the local boys coming back WB at a
spot west of Spence. At Spence I noticed the texture of the WB shot framed by the signals at the west end of the plant. I waited, but an EB train came first. Then
I spotted a WB headlight down at the end of the very long tangent running through the area. I was set. BUT... here comes another EB and I missed the WB shot
by about 10 car lengths. It would have been a great "Monday Meets" shot! I got stubborn and waited for another WB which finally came. Then I moved to the east
side of the crossover plant for 4 more trains before my sunlight was done with. I had never been here before, but this area deserves another look.
Lots of shooting possibilities with typical rural Kansas background scenery abound...

1. & 2. UP 504 on the local through Herkimer, KS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/12 09:42 by santafe199.

Date: 11/21/12 09:36
Re: a place called Spence

3. & 4. The former Rock Island station in Fairbury, NE.

Date: 11/21/12 09:37

5. & 6. UP 829 is on the local returning from Marysville west of Spence, KS

Date: 11/21/12 09:38

7. UP 5773 on EB coal at the Spence crossovers.

8. UP 5933 is the DP unit for the 5933 on a just-missed meet shot.

9. UP 5535 is leading my missed meet manifest at Spence.

Date: 11/21/12 09:39

10. UP 6615 with a BNSF unit has more coal EB at Spence.

11. SPatch 6358 is the DP unit for the 6615.

12. UP 6456 on WB empties at Spence, the shot I've been waiting for...

Date: 11/21/12 09:40

13. UP 7477 has EB stacks on the roll just east of Spence.

14. UP 8700 is the DP unit for the 7477.

Date: 11/21/12 09:41

15. UP 6599 has more WB empties rolling by for my last train of the afternoon.

16. UP 5707 is the DP unit for the 6599.
(all photos taken November 19, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/23/12 05:48
Author: RustyRayls

Not a bad one in the bunch! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds