Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question on the Dakota and Iowa Railroad

Date: 11/22/12 17:13
Question on the Dakota and Iowa Railroad
Author: Pinecliffe

Does anyone know how many of the ex-Milwaukee Road GP9's are left in service on the DAIR? I am specifically wondering about the DAIR #6 which was formerly the Milwaukee Road 321. I'm planning a trip back to Minnesota next month and would like to swing by and see if if I can see any of these old units. A couple of summers ago I saw one of those old GP9's dead in tow going through Denver on the joint line. They are 50+ years old and probably nearing the end of their time.

Date: 11/22/12 17:36
Re: Question on the Dakota and Iowa Railroad
Author: rehunn

I'm not completely sure but I'd almost have say-none. I haven't seen one
on a train in some time and unless they've got a unit or two stored I'd
be surprised if any are left.

Date: 11/22/12 19:26
Author: rsanchez

They are being used as switchers at the various pits and dumps. They do get out on the road occasionally but it is becoming a rare sight as UP and BNSF power runs through on ballast trains now. The SD40-2's and SD39's handle the rock trains with the GP50's and GP39's filling in occasionally. #6 was in Sioux City a couple of weeks ago.

Date: 11/22/12 19:47
Author: JayK

I found a few of the old geeps stored near their shop in Dell Rapids in Nov 2010. The employees were quite helpful when we approached them before walking around the property. Don't know of their whereabouts recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 05:11 by JayK.

Date: 11/22/12 21:41
Author: RyanWilkerson

When I visited Dell Rapids, SD in the spring of 2004, I was really impressed with how nice these chop-nosed GP9s looked.
Here are all my D&I photos (30 of them)
http://shastarails.com/photos/pbr.asp?Road=DI

I haven't had the opportunity to travel to the midwest in the last few years but it would be nice to know if these are still being taken care of and looking good.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/22/12 21:42
Author: RyanWilkerson

I forgot the shot of #6. Here's the only angle I posted on my website. I might have more if it would help.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/23/12 16:14
Author: Pinecliffe

Thanks for the information and pictures. Glad to hear it's still active. Hopefully I get out that way to take a look before it's gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4904 seconds