Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New Pasadena Sub (LA 2nd District) signals...

Date: 11/22/12 16:16
New Pasadena Sub (LA 2nd District) signals...
Author: PasadenaSub

I figured I'd go out this morning and see if there was any more former ATSF track torn up in Duarte, CA (for the upcoming Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension project). Not much has changed in the 10 days since my last visit, just a bit more cleaned up where the track was between Highland and Buena Vista Avenues. The island of track between Buena Vista and Mountain remains.

1) I did notice quite a few flatcars loaded with concrete ties and rails for the light rail in both Duarte and Irwindale. There was a cut of 6 cars under the 605 freeway (3 for rail, 3 for ties), waiting to be unloaded. I've heard that Kiewit is making a storage facility along the line here to store the raw materials. I believe those are stacked ties behind the fencing to the right.

2) In Irwindale, there were 2 cuts of cars - each with about 6 loads. This one, and another closer to the bridge over the San Gabriel River. The long Irwindale siding that was used by BNSF to store empty container well cars has been cut just east of these cars, with a new westbound turnout installed to connect with the existing siding to make a new shorter one.

3) Just east of the Irwindale Avenue overpass is a new double signal, which are numbered 1181 and 1182 (meaning signals 1 & 2 within mile 118).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/12 16:24 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/22/12 16:19
Re: New Pasadena Sub (LA 2nd District) signals...

4-5) A couple more views of the new signal in Irwindale. Neither one was lit.

6) Another new signal, numbered 1162, in Azusa at San Gabriel Avenue. There may also be yet another new signal between this one and the pair in Irwindale, since I didn't go over to Virgina Avenue to check.

Date: 11/22/12 16:23

7-8) And another new signal, numbered 1161, just west of Pasadena Avenue in Azusa. Of the 4 signal targets I saw today, this was the only one that was lit - displaying an 'approach' indication. The old Santa Fe US&S Type R2 signal stands to the right, with its head turned aside.

Since the new freight line to Miller Brewing in Irwindale will need to be relocated about 10' to the south of the existing main, all these new signals seem a bit close. Maybe with their modern design allows them to be more easily relocated when the time comes.

Rich

Happy Thanksgiving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/12 16:28 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/22/12 20:44
Author: MrMRL

As a railroader, I fail to see the reasoning behind the condensed numbers. Whom do they expect to be able to read those squished little numbers? The plate is "12 inches" wide, can't make the numbers 12 inches wide to fit???

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/22/12 20:52
Author: sp5312

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a railroader, I fail to see the reasoning
> behind the condensed numbers. Whom do they expect
> to be able to read those squished little numbers?
> The plate is "12 inches" wide, can't make the
> numbers 12 inches wide to fit???
>
> Mr. MRL

It's a manufacturer thing, used to be individual number plates in a frame, now one piece and condensed.

Date: 11/23/12 12:18
Author: CMS

Is Metrolink (or their contractor Mass Electric)performing the signal work?

I noticed the pole line was pretty much removed... so I'm guessing the new signals are using electrocode 5, coded track circuits?

CMS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds