Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Triclops & his younger siblings

Date: 12/08/12 05:58
Triclops & his younger siblings
Author: santafe199

I ran across this distinctive power move Thursday morning. I saw these 3 units approaching Missouri City, MO on the NS. I had to do some scootin'
to catch up and I got these shots as the units were entering their home rails at Maxwell, a junction point between Missouri City & Orrick, MO.

With a FRED on the front nose, this looks to me like lite power running somewhere, maybe to fetch a coal empty? Or maybe a grain load?
I'll let someone with better information finish this line of thought...

1. BNSF 8115 on the point (with a friendly wave)...

2. ...and BNSF 8173 bringing up the rear on a lite-power move (with all 3 units still in BN colors).
(2 photos taken at Maxwell, MO on December 6, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 12/08/12 06:09
Re: Triclops & his younger siblings
Author: texchief1

Nice shot, Lance. Shoot em while you can.

Randy Lundgren

Date: 12/08/12 06:45
Author: Out_Of_Service

nice photos L ... is that a friendly wave from the right seater

Date: 12/08/12 06:54

Out_Of_Service Wrote:

> is that a friendly wave from the right seater

Well... now that you mention it! I believe it is. I should take a closer look at my shots now & then... :^/

Lance

Date: 12/08/12 12:29
Author: mg8711

Hard to say this with foam dripping out of my mouth but wow what a catch! Makes me wonder if you've ran one of these back when they were new.

Date: 12/08/12 14:10
Author: JMorhaus

Nice shot & nice find.

Date: 12/08/12 17:09
Author: ns2557

The 8128 is in Pueblo Co and has been here a few days now. I sure do miss seeing these units and am always looking for them on my journeys. Nice shots there santafe199. Ben

Date: 12/08/12 19:05

mg8711 Wrote:

> ........................... Makes me wonder if
> you've ran one of these back when they were new.

Working for MRL I got to run them them new pretty much right off the shelf. But the novelty of running these brand new units wore off very quickly, even with the equally new "desk-top" 30CDW automatic brake system. I soon found the interior cab design very lacking in a few points. Mainly I learned to hate the third seat which was stuck more or less in the middle against the back cab panel. It had a drop-down foot rest that sprang up when not in use. If you weren't paying close attention, you could whack the crap out of your shins. I never saw anyone sit in that third chair, which usually ended up as a place to toss my grip.

Date: 12/08/12 20:39
Author: loopy7764

Well here's what level they've fallen to on the UP.
Leading the LUM48 in Paradise, NV on March 23rd, 2011.

Date: 12/09/12 05:41
Author: Atsf814

....early Christmas gift! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/09/12 09:11
Author: Milw_E70

They had at least one train parked on the Brookfield line full of empty boxes for China due to the port strike, wouldn't surprise me if that's what they were getting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds