Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Questions about UP's ex-T&P in west Texas

Date: 12/09/12 16:51
Questions about UP's ex-T&P in west Texas
Author: bradleymckay

Are the current crew change points between El Paso and Ft. Worth still Pecos and Sweetwater?

Any new sidings going in? I've already lost track of all the new ones UP has put in since the SP-UP merger. I do know about the expanded yard at Monahans that allows for a better interchange with the Texas-New Mexico RR.

At looking at my UP ETT #7 from 10/29/89 it's almost hard to believe that there was just ONE siding (Boracho) between Sierra Blanca and Toyah...about 102 miles! And only ONE siding (Pecos) in the 57 miles between Toyah and Monahans. Of course there was only 1 or 2 trains a day out there back then...

Anyway, TIA for any info that can be provided.

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 16:53 by bradleymckay.

Date: 12/09/12 17:54
Re: Questions about UP's ex-T&P in west Texas
Author: tomstp

I can't answer all your questions but, I do know a few things. About 3 years ago UP built a new siding just east of Allamore siding (4179 ft) and west of Van Horn siding (3606 ft). It is called Crusher and is right at 10,000 ft. From reading some of Fred Frailey's articles on the T&P I believe I am correct in saying that some of the old sidings have been extended and I think the mileage between the extended ones is 20 miles. I think Gozar is one them. It used to be 4146 ft.

Pecos siding and Sweetwater are still crew change points. Pecos siding (not the in the city of Pecos) is about 11,000 ft long and occassinally two trains will not fit in it. Often wondered what would happen if two westbounds showed up with 2 eastbounds. But since it is CTC now I guess one would be held back.

Up has laid a 2nd main track between the yard in Odessa to the Midland city limits (10 miles) because switching was delaying a lot of trains in that area. Now trains run through at 70 MPH.

I know you did not ask but the line from Dallas to Marshall is really undergoing some changes in lengthing passing tracks and adding at least one new one in Terrell (east side of town) One futher east, Elmo, is being done now.

Date: 12/09/12 18:01
Author: darkcloud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/12 16:50 by darkcloud.

Date: 12/09/12 19:49
Author: goneon66

darkcloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.fogchart.com/Down/Beta/TOYAH.pdf

the website of the century as far as i am concerned......

Date: 12/09/12 19:55
Author: tomstp

Thanks darkcloud. I see I was wrong about length of Pecos siding by about 2000 ft. Your information does show that many old passing tracks were rebuilt much longer with the shortest one now around 8700 ft. The siding of Pegasus between Odesssa and Midland is no more. It is in the double track portion now. I think Bounce is also part of the double track if it has been cut in. When I was there in June they still had quite a bit of work to do.

Date: 12/10/12 12:47
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Cool chart but for some reason it drives me crazy when folks call the town of Big Spring "Big Springs".

And I am not even from Big Spring.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds