Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > FRA's new rules?

Date: 12/14/12 09:21
FRA's new rules?
Author: funnelfan

Supposedly FRA has new rules starting at the beginning of the year for new hire conductors. Is there a webpage that is keep track of the changes? Seems this conductor certification is going to be really raising the bar for many shortlines, making it very expensive to hire and train new conductors. Already certified conductors will be placed in high demand which means higher wages I'm sure. Thankfully I've already got my Conductors and Engineer Cards.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/14/12 09:50
Re: FRA's new rules?
Author: trainjunkie

Ted,

There's a bunch of stuff on the UTU web site, possibly BLET as well. A good thread to follow here...

http://www.yardlimits.com/forums/yard-office/38759-conductor-certification-thread-2-a.html

Date: 12/14/12 11:22
Author: trainjunkie

I received a PM that the above link doesn't work unless you are logged in. Sorry, didn't realize it because I am always logged into that site. For any rails here who want to follow this sort of stuff, I encourage you to join this site. It's free and a lot of the work/career/contract/union/safety/etc. discussions are worthwhile.

http://www.yardlimits.com/forums/

Date: 12/14/12 15:12
Author: kodachrome9319

Now if you run a red block, both you and your conductor are SOL.

Date: 12/14/12 15:51
Author: MRS11813

Just google. 49 CFR 242 conductor certification.

Have fun trying to read it.

Date: 12/14/12 17:15
Author: funnelfan

Makes me wonder what is going to happen to all those conductors that never promoted to engineers because they were color blind. Now they have to pass the same vision test as a engineer.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/14/12 18:04
Author: skinem

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes me wonder what is going to happen to all
> those conductors that never promoted to engineers
> because they were color blind. Now they have to
> pass the same vision test as a engineer.

Really?...been taking the same test now that I took over thirty years ago as a trainman.

Date: 12/14/12 19:38
Author: jkchubbes

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes me wonder what is going to happen to all
> those conductors that never promoted to engineers
> because they were color blind. Now they have to
> pass the same vision test as a engineer.

This just came up in my terminal. He was allowed to take a field test. They didn't make it very easy either, went and observed several of the worst signals in the area. Everything from the hard to see pot signals to the clears that look lunar.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds