Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Great Parmesan Cheese Debacle

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/16/12 11:54
The Great Parmesan Cheese Debacle
Author: imrl

As santafe199 (Lance Garrels, aka SirL, aka Lanzo Garreli) reported here (http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2943243), we had our second annual Kansas gang get together yesterday. It was to be a great gathering of railfans, young and old to share good food, great stories and stellar photos. Leading up to the main event in the evening, the younger generation took to the country side in search of the elusive train.

I met up with Lance and Lucas (mg8711) in Manhattan, KS. While waiting, I took a walk around the beautifully restored Union Pacific depot (#1). Lance retreated to his kitchen workshop to perfect his sauce for the evenings festivities while Lucas and I went off in search of trains. One of the benefits of being employed by the UP, I was able to look at trains on duty and found nothing even close on the Salina Subdivision, however, there were many trains on duty coming into and out of Herington on the Golden State, so off we went.

Unfortunately, as we leave Manhattan, our nice sunrise we were having is soon covered up with some very unphotgenic clouds that will stick with use for most of the morning. We hear from Luke (nwksrailfan) heading into Salina from the west who has great sun. We decide to poke him back with KCS power! (All pictures taken 12-15-2012 in the state of Kansas. Towns noted for each shot)

#2 MWTKC departing Herington with KCS power towards Kansas City seen crossing Kansas 4.

#3 MWTKC coming under US77 east of Herington.

Date: 12/16/12 11:56
Re: The Great Parmesan Cheese Debacle

#4 One last going away shot passing some of the few remaining tri-light style signals.

#5 We head back towards Herington in time to see the KG1LAC leaving town. Not knowing the back roads well, we tried to dart ahead of them south of town. We found this nice S curve and set up shop.

#6 Hearing of a meet at Ramona, we head down to find the crossings blocked with the MTUKC in the siding. We head farther south to get the K train once more before we head back north for the MTUKC. Here is the K with Ramona in the distance.

Date: 12/16/12 11:57

#7 We head back towards Herington just in time to see the MTUKC stop to line himself into the yard.

#8 We hear from Luke again. He let us know that there is a loaded coal train coming from Salina about to head down the BNSF's Strong City Sub. He decides to chase a different train west out of Salina while we head north to try to catch the south bound load. Here we catch it getting ready to storm out of the Smoky Hill River bottoms at Enterprise.

#9 The hill has the train bogged down and we manage to get ahead for this shot coming between the elevators at Navarre. Boy, I wish I had sun for this shot!

Date: 12/16/12 11:58

#10 We break off our chase and decide to rendezvous with Luke. We stop and grab a quick bite of greasy Casey's pizza and some other snacks and head towards Salina. We pull up to the depot and catch our cohort on top of his van to catch an east bound empty coal train slowing gliding past the depot into the yard. We also have a joyous meeting with Mr. Sun!

#11 We learn of a west bound coal empty coming with all CSX power. We come up with a plan to chase a train east out of Salina, intercept the CSX powered train, chase back to Salina and then meet for dinner. Our plan starts out great with this standard coal train leaving Salina. We set up for our first shot at Solomon.

#12 We jump ahead to Abilene and shoot again.

Date: 12/16/12 12:00

Just after our shot, we hear the train screech to a halt and report to the dispatcher the signal dropped in front of them to red. So, they eventually get rolling again, but the next 3-4 signals are also red. About this time, we make contact with Lance on his way to deliver his precious cargo (the aforementioned spaghetti sauce). He wishes us well in our continued chase.

#13 We catch the coal trains' slow roll again at Detroit and get a right way DPU in storm light.

#14 Finally, they catch clear signals agin and are powering through Chapman, home of the "Little" Fighting Irish.

#15 Finally, they make a meet with the train we have been looking for at Junction City.

Date: 12/16/12 12:01

#16 Knowing it was getting late in the day, we knew this was most likely going to be our last train. It had interesting power, would be heading into the light, so everything was set! Well, not quite. This dispatcher told the crew that they didn't have enough time and there were no rested dog catch crews. They were told to tie it down and a ride would be sent. We were dejected! The most interesting train of the day down the tube. We tucked our tail between our legs, got some fuel and headed back to Salina. With a heads up from MILW_E70 (Austin) that an ethanol train was leaving Abilene heading up the Strong City Sub, we made one last desperate dash cross country to try to get ahead of it. We pulled up to Longford and didn't see anything. Driving to the other side of the grain elevator, we catch a glimpse through the trees of our target coming at us at a high rate of speed. Jumping out of the truck, we catch what turned out to be my favorite picture of the day.

#17 We grab one more picture at the east siding switch Longford with the local tied down in the hole.

#18 At this point, the sun has set, our bellies are empty and we are ready for that long talked about spaghetti! Taking the scenic route towards Salina, we catch one last coal load heading east splitting the signals at MP 178.

Date: 12/16/12 12:03

#19 Not quite finished yet. We set up for an exposure of the Salina depot with a very typical Kansas sunset.

#20 Finally, what we have all been waiting for: dinner! Now, you have probably been wondering about the title of this thread. Our great chef Lanzo Garreli has prepared a great feast of spaghetti and garlic bread. But wait, where IS the parmesan cheese? There was none to be had! Regardless, no one left hungry and there wasn't a single noodle left over. We then enjoyed a great slide show from Art Gibson (wag216), John Arbuckle (TheChiefWay), our host Bob Helling (PRose) and the chef himself, Lance. Overall, it was a great day of shooting, story telling and a great slide show with good friends. We may have to do this more than just annually! Pictured: front kneeling: Bob Helling (PRose), second row sitting from left: Lucas McIntyre (mg8711), Brian Stevens (SCKP187), Austin Seely (MILW_E70), Luke Lohrmeyer (nwkrailfain), Mike Prickett (longtime UP Salina engineer but not on the TO dial). Back row standing: Mavin Bush (upkpfan), Wes Chiles (lilwes), Art Gibson (wag216), Lance Garrels (santafe199), John Arbuckle (TheChiefWay) and myself.

Thanks for looking!
Greg Murray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 12:38 by imrl.

Date: 12/16/12 12:07
Author: kansas1

Thanks so much. Great story and great pictures.

Date: 12/16/12 12:10
Author: glcaddis

Love it all. My uncle used to work at the elevator in Navarre which is my Mom's hometown. KSU grad, Grandma lived in Abilene. Herington Railroaders were our main high school rival. While I grew up on the Santa Fe east of Newton, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for all these roads and locations. Great shots, keep it coming. A displaced Kansan exiled to Illinois. I've love to attend one of these affairs someday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 12:12 by glcaddis.

Date: 12/16/12 12:23
Author: santafe199

That's a great group mugshot Greg! How in the world didja get all of us actually looking at the correct camera???
BTW: Mike's last name is Prickett (not sure if it's 1 't' or 2...)

;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 12:25 by santafe199.

Date: 12/16/12 12:30
Author: nwkrailfan

My secret to my elevation has been exposed, dang! Good stuff, Greg! Really liking your first shot there at Longford.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/16/12 12:46
Author: bnsfsd70

glcaddis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A displaced Kansan exiled to Illinois.

Strange, I'm the other way around.

Greg, nice shots. Hopefully I can make it sometime, but Salina??? I can host one here in Lawrence next year.

- Jeff

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/16/12 13:02

glcaddis Wrote:

> I've love to attend one of these affairs someday....

All ya gotta do is click yer heels 3 times... ;^)

Keep in touch, Gene, we'll be shifting this event to springtime; as in THIS spring. We're also going to try and Kick off a Major event in conjunction with the
Abilene & Smoky Valley. It'll be held in Abilene, KS every October. We're still very much in the "kicking around some ideas" stage, but there is a resolute
determination to get this off the ground!

Lance

Date: 12/16/12 13:14
Author: wpjones

nwkrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My secret to my elevation has been exposed, dang!
> Good stuff, Greg! Really liking your first shot
> there at Longford.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Aaa, I've been taking shots from the roof of my toppers for years. Even had a lawnchair up there for 3985 on Track3 west of Speer with an umbrella(I stole the Idea from Bob Krieger)And an Aksarben Special east of Valley once. One Dome of people were laughing and next Dome wouldn't even look. People are funny.
Steve Jones,Lincoln,Ne

Date: 12/16/12 13:19
Author: Milw_E70

Yikes thanks for reminding me I need to get a haircut....

Can't blame him for forgetting the cheese, that's just what happens when you get OLD! ;-)

Date: 12/16/12 13:50

Milw_E70 Wrote:

> Can't blame him for forgetting the cheese, that's
> just what happens when you get OLD! ;-)

Ooooff.... :-(

Date: 12/16/12 14:02
Author: PRose

Don't talk to me about OLD.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 12/16/12 15:47
Author: upkpfan

Prose,
>Don't talk to me about OLD.< You young whipper snapper, I'm older than you. upkpfan

Greg, good pics. Nice meeting you.

Date: 12/16/12 17:19
Author: Topfuel

It's real good to see some young kids are part of your group. Like many activities that we have taken for granted in the last 40 years or so, an interest in trains is not as common as it once was. Encouraging participation in the railfan hobby by younger people should be an important goal for us all.

Date: 12/16/12 18:03
Author: UPTRAIN

Wish I hadn't been working yesterday! Looks like a great time was had by all (well, most of you, anyway).

Pump

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0807 seconds