Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Arizona Railfanning Help

Date: 12/17/12 16:57
Arizona Railfanning Help
Author: philbrody54

Hello All,

I’m planning a railfanning trip to Arizona this spring and I am looking for some help on locations to watch trains. I will be staying with my grandma in Buckeye, AZ which is about an hour west of Phoenix. Last time I was there I checked out the UP line down in Gila Bend and definitely plan on doing that again but I was looking to explore a bit more. I’d like to know where the nearest BNSF mainline would be with regards to Buckeye. I’m shooting more for quantity over quality looking for max volume of trains. Currently I am focused on UP and BNSF territory but would be open to other suggestions. Any information on good locations/towns to check out would be greatly appreciated. A general idea of where the mainlines for UP and BNSF run in the state would also be very helpful. Thank you in advance for your help!

Brian

Date: 12/17/12 17:06
Re: Arizona Railfanning Help
Author: DRGW

Your best bet then is to stay down on the UP Sunset Route if your looking for lots of trains. The BNSF line into Phoenix doesn't have much traffic, 4-6 during the day if your lucky. You could always venture up to Flagstaff on the transcon if you want trains as well.

Date: 12/17/12 17:07
Author: CSabresXr1

We'll get you to some good spots when you're out here!

Date: 12/18/12 18:20
Author: inNout

Brian,

The Sunset Route as decent traffic this time of the year, I frequent the Picacho Wye area, (Picacho Peak) Between Casa Grande & Tucson.
Lots of Great Scenery Shots from Pichacho, on west.

Date: 12/19/12 19:35
Author: mococomike

The Phoenix yards are easy to check out.
UP
20th St. South of Washington is an easy park and view of the east of the yard.
16th and 7th Sts have bridges over the yards where you can stand and see all the action.
Drive along the south side of the yard and you will find many dead end streets with great views of the yard.
43rd Ave is Campo yard which usually has unpatched SP power.
*Also follow UP out to Arlington if you want to watch them rehabbing the line.
BNSF
BNSF yards are located up and down Grand Ave.
20th Ave and Fillmore is the BNSF Turntable and engine facility.

A&C is fun to chase to Parker
AZ RR musuem is nice in Chandler
Mccormick Park in Scottdale
Adobe Mtn Railroad.
maricopalivesteamers.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds