Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Modoc Railroad Academy


Date: 01/05/13 23:40
Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: Hi-Iron82

A little bird has told me that the school is moving from the valley area to Marion, IL. Anyone know anything about this?? Also heard moving all rolling stock by truck (boxcars, cabooses, locos) and partnering with a railroad.

Curious as to which railroad and if anyone has info.



Date: 01/06/13 06:09
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: defect_detector

All their equipment has been moved to the Dobbas yard... It has merit.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/13 06:09 by defect_detector.



Date: 01/06/13 08:02
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: NWRailfan

Since they are not tied into UP's mainline they lost their accreditation. They had to find a new home with this in mind.



Date: 01/06/13 08:31
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: rrhistorian

It would be great if they would partner with a railroad museum - it would be a true win-win for both organizations!



Date: 01/06/13 09:07
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: PHall

defect_detector Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All their equipment has been moved to the Dobbas
> yard... It has merit.

And where exactly is Dobbas yard?



Date: 01/06/13 09:21
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: BNSF6400

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And where exactly is Dobbas yard?

Jim Dobbas Inc. is a railroad contractor that among other things, helped Union Pacific with the rebuilding of its burnt down trestle in Sacramento some years back. They have a equipment yard adjacent to the western end of the UP's Roseville Yard on Antelope Road. It has a railroad spur into the facility. I assume this is what the above mention of "Dobbas Yard" refers to.



Date: 01/06/13 11:24
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: up4466

rrhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be great if they would partner with a
> railroad museum - it would be a true win-win for
> both organizations!


No, not really. That would be a very bad proposition for the Museum, believe me.



Date: 01/06/13 11:33
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: miralomarail

up4466 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rrhistorian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would be great if they would partner with a
> > railroad museum - it would be a true win-win
> for
> > both organizations!
>
>
> No, not really. That would be a very bad
> proposition for the Museum, believe me.


Just do a Search about the Modoc RR Academy and find out all the Crap about that Company



Date: 01/06/13 16:36
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: Western_Star

> Just do a Search about the Modoc RR Academy and
> find out all the Crap about that Company

X2!



Date: 01/06/13 18:47
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: ace3101

"Crap" is an understatement. Any resume that comes to me with Modoc Railroad Academy anywhere on it goes directly to the trash can. My company has maintained this practice for the last 10 years and it has served us well.



Date: 01/06/13 23:59
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: truxtrax

Hi-Iron82 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little bird has told me that the school is
> moving from the valley area to Marion, IL. Anyone
> know anything about this?? Also heard moving all
> rolling stock by truck (boxcars, cabooses, locos)
> and partnering with a railroad.
>
> Curious as to which railroad and if anyone has
> info.

Marion IL is home of the Crab Orchard & Egyptian RR

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR



Date: 01/07/13 20:27
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: shavano

I'm not very familiar with Modoc's reputation. What is it? And what's the history behind this place?

Posted from iPhone



Date: 01/09/13 10:15
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: rragain

When I read ACE3103's comment about Modoc students I had a knee-jerk reaction and was offended, but I thougt I should think about it over night before I responded. By his handle "ACE3103", i assume that he works for Altamont Commuter Express, which is a small regional railroad and which affords him the luxury of throwing candidates resumes "in the trash". You see, I attended Modoc RR Academy at the cost of roughly a months salary. I went through the conductor training program and am now an engineer with the same railroad I hired out with, which is a large class 1 railroad. Of the 10 conductor students in my class, all of which were hired with the same railroad, 8 remain working in the industry and 6 at my railroad. All of us made it through the railroad's training program with no problem. After we marked up, one guy quit after a month. He realized that 30 days straight of "going out on your rest" wasn't like he thought it would be and no amount of money could make him stay. After a year another conductor left and went to a Bay Area commuter railroad. Then another guy got married to a wealthy woman said to himself "Why work?" And finally one classmate of mine was terminated for something personally related and not performance or drug related. So 60% percent of us are with the same railroad and incident free. The average my railroad retains when they hire "off the street", a trainmaster told me, was less then 30%. So my point is that Modoc graduates are put under much harsher scrutiny then your trainee "off the street". Nothing can to teach you or prepare you to deal with the difficulties that a career with the railroad brings but Modoc comes close. And my brother went to AMDG, which was similar, 10 years ago and is an engineer.



Date: 01/09/13 10:32
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: stmfrevr

Modoc School equipment in the Dobbas yard (Antelope), west end of the Roseville yard.






Date: 01/14/13 01:28
Re: Modoc Railroad Academy
Author: up4466

ace3101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Crap" is an understatement. Any resume that
> comes to me with Modoc Railroad Academy anywhere
> on it goes directly to the trash can. My company
> has maintained this practice for the last 10 years
> and it has served us well.


oh, so you don't buy the BULLSHIT either! Good for you! These people still owe me over $5000.00 in a court case they brought against me and my Company. They sued me, they lost and now they won't pay me! Not that I ever figured to get the money, but at lease NO ONE CAN CONVINCE ME ABOUT MODOC! I DON'T BUY BULLSHIT EITHER!



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1089 seconds