Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > ...a gruesome reminder

Date: 05/22/13 06:22
...a gruesome reminder
Author: santafe199

There is a spot on my 'personal railfan map' I've driven by or shot photos from dozens of times over 3+ decades. Today (5-20) I observed a very effective visual safety reminder presented by the Operation Lifesaver people. At the US hwy 77 crossing northwest of Marysville, KS they have placed a vehicle that was obviously involved in RR crossing accident. Any person driving by this spot failing to notice this scene is very likely the next person to get themselves into an accident at some other location.

My heart goes out to whomever was hurt (or worse...) in this accident. And as a career train service railroader my heart also goes out the train crew that had to experience this horror.

Stop. Look. Listen. Live!

1. UP/Operation Lifesaver scene @ US hwy 77 crossing NW of Marysville, KS. May 20, 2013.

Thanks for being safe!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 19:03 by santafe199.

Date: 05/22/13 06:35
Re: ...a gruesome reminder
Author: JoCoLB

I've known railroaders who have taken early retirement because of horrific crossing accidents involving fatalities. Train crews become "victims" --- not just those in motor vehicles.

Date: 05/22/13 09:23
Author: santafedan

I would like to see more of things like this. I was an OL presenter and supporter for some time. I suggested bill boards near crossings with photos of cars/trucks or other vehicles that interacted rather badly with trains. The powers to be said it would not be in the best interest to do that. To me it would be very effective.
I taught Driver Ed for 10 years and always stressed RR safety. Including trespassing.

Date: 05/22/13 10:33
Author: mojaveflyer

We have three vehicles in Colorado for that purpose. In many cases the vehicle is obtained from another state if there were injuries involved to eliminate the possibility a family member of the person who's car was involved will see it on display. In some cases (like a case I was involved in), the vehicle was stolen in a residential burglary and the burglars high centered the vehicle on the track while joy riding. They were out of the vehicle when it was hit. The police caught the burglars eventually...

Date: 05/22/13 11:11
Author: fredkharrison

That vehicle on the trailer in the photo is in better shape than many I have seen. One I remember was so flattened it had no need to be compacted at the salvage yard.

Posted from Android

Fred Harrison
Central Point, OR
CORPpower/JSS/EORS

Date: 05/22/13 12:13
Author: funnelfan

This reminds me of the vehicle used in the train crash scene in "Man on a Ledge". That little clip of a scene could be very useful to illustrate why you never try to beat a train.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/22/13 13:44
Author: kd0086

UP is getting ready to start a railroad safety billboard campaign in Texas.

http://texasrailadvocates.org/viewIt.asp?ati=3&a=1281

Date: 05/22/13 16:51
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Many do not want these things to be seen so they won't bruise anyones delicate sensibilties. Which of course protects the little darlings from reality and we have more compacted vehicles. Viscious circle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds