Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New Innovated / Efficient Brake Club

Date: 07/19/13 15:52
New Innovated / Efficient Brake Club
Author: Naiomi2003

I am writing you regarding a new brakestick we believe everyone can benefit from. Our product was designed with safety, efficiency and mobility at the forefront of our goals. The final product has exceeded our expectations in each category. We have labeled our product, Brake Club. The Brake Club was designed to assist designated Railroad Employees Secure and release Hand Brakes from the ground. Safety should be the cornerstone of any new product and that’s exactly what we strived for. We used high quality durable aircraft aluminum and steel. Testing has consisted of but not limited to, over ten thousand full revolutions and a load test in excess of 600 pounds with no part of the product being compromised. We are proud to say that the Brake Club is ergonomically sound. The Brake Club has been ergonomically tested and the results are astounding!

The efficiency of the Brake Club is unparalleled. With our innovated approach to our C clasp head, to our user friendly telescopic release and lock knob leaves no question to the efficiency design of the Brake Club. The Brake Club was designed to extend and retract in the locked position with ease. Once extended, the C clasp is connected to either the spoke or rim of the Hand Brake, rotated 360 degrees to lock in place and then the Brake wheel can be secured in a continuous motion. It’s as easy as that and it works incredibly.
The last focal point of our design is mobility. The Brake Club weighs 3.5 pounds and is 18 inches when retracted, making it a tool that can be stored in a briefcase, tool bag or something similar. It also comes with a nylon holster that can be carried on ones person, equipped with a strap that goes over the shoulder and a belt latch to be carried at the waist. These are just the basics of our product. Please visit WWW.BRAKECLUB.COM or E-Mail Info@brakeclub.com
Bullet Items

1. Weight 3.5
2. Holster enables employee to carry on person
3. BrakeClub apply Frt Car brake in 12 Seconds
4. Once brakeclub is engaged mechanical head rotates until brake is applied "Than club is disengaged
5. Current tools available are cumbersome and are not efficient "Almost 2 Minutes to apply one hand brake"
6. Brakeclub has concave head to engage quick release feature
7.Visit: WWW.Brakeclub.com for detailed info + Video of Brakeclub operation

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

Date: 07/19/13 16:10
Re: New Innovated / Efficient Brake Club
Author: shay2977

still must get three step protection and that is what takes up most of your time

Date: 07/19/13 16:27

Thanks for reply . Yes there is no easy solution ? But, you eliminate ascending and or descending equipment. Also must have protection when making safety inspection or working airhoses / angle cocks ....Having experience in grade territory and train emergency brake applications. it can easily call for 40 to 60 hand brakes. Eliminating ascending/descending equipment is HUGE

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

Date: 07/19/13 17:13
Author: trainjunkie

In what way(s), in your opinion, is this superior to the Tomahawk Big STIK®?

http://rrtools.com/miscProducts/BrakeStick.asp

Date: 07/19/13 17:34
Author: Hookdragkick

Are there any TY&E, or does anybody know of any who have their own personal brake stick? I have never used one, nor have I seen anyone. I've heard of their popularity on other subs and divs.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/13 17:38
Author: NWRailfan

On the UP now any conductor can go ask their local manager for his own personal brake stick. They are starting to put them everywhere though. Some situations they really help, others its just easier to do it by hand.

Date: 07/19/13 18:02
Author: 70ACE

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any TY&E, or does anybody know of any
> who have their own personal brake stick? I have
> never used one, nor have I seen anyone. I've heard
> of their popularity on other subs and divs.
>
> Posted from Android

On the BNSF in the NW Div they are being used with more frequency on work trains, some locals, but occaisionally in the yards. Safety committees are "pushing" their usage.

Date: 07/19/13 18:39
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Oh brother. Brake clubs are made of hickory: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-western-pacific-railroad-co-brake-club , and primarily used on [non-geared] staff brakes. You use them by pushing, not pulling.

Date: 07/19/13 19:26
Author: terrybaker

EtoinShrdlu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh brother. Brake clubs are made of hickory:
> http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-west
> ern-pacific-railroad-co-brake-club , and primarily
> used on staff brakes. You use them by pushing,
> not pulling.
===============================================
Absolutely; have one like that pictured with "Norfolk & Western" stamped on it.

Date: 07/19/13 20:43
Author: fbe

It would be nice if the club were long enough to reach across the drawbar to apply and release a handbrake on the other side of the car. Brake sticks do this.

I am hesitant to recommend the holster with the shaft of the club sticking down like it does in your design. An employee coming down a ladder could stick between the ladder rungs and cause the employee to fall.

Just my thoughts after climbing all over railroad equipment since 1969.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 07/20/13 04:04
Author: AfroRon

Around my parts we use the Omni design brake stick

http://www.omnigroupcorp.com/

Specifically the model 88660

The carrier I work for assigns conductors personal brake sticks (they have a serial number which is recorded)

In addition to applying and removing handbrakes, we are also permitted to use them to open knuckles and open/close angle cocks. The devices length allows us to do that without extending it, while remaining in the clear of equipment. This allows to do our work without three-step protection, and without unnecessary exposure to potentially moving equipment.

With the device extended we are able to reach high handbrakes, or low handbrake on the other side of the car while remaining in the clear.

I've had mine current one for 3 years now, and it still functions as well as it did when new. I work a switcher job, so its duty cycle could be considered "extreme". In this time I've gone though several "Star" lanterns and 1 radios. I consider this a testament to how well built the device is. That said, they are not indestructible, I have snapped one and I have seen the locking collar go bad on some.

Yes, the device is large in the grand scheme of things. Some folks I work with refuse to use them (brake stick usage is not mandatory yet at my carrier). But the penalty of carrying it around is well worth the benefit of not having to climb on cars in my opinion, and those of many others.

I totally agree with FBE that the holster may not be as good as a idea as it may sound at first. Been a lot of injuries.. even a few fatalities due to clothing and bags getting snagged.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just some points to think about.

Date: 07/20/13 10:10
Author: NSDTK

Any new brake stick / club would need to be approved by the railroads as using a unauthorised one is a good way to get into serious trouble

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/13 14:24

Thanks for the response. Our purpose is not to place any employee in a pinch point risk, primary objective is for employees not to board equipment. Yes the tool will not reach across the drawbar and apply and/or release a hand brake. So to answer the first question ? Let me answer with a scenario? Train requires 20 hand brakes ? The simple solution would have employee walk Southside applying all hand brakes on Southside. Than crossover and apply hand brakes on north side. This eliminates any pinch point of reaching over equipment ...2nd Question / Will tool get caught on equipment and subsequently cause a employee injury. Two things come into play here first railroad equipment has evolved where hand brake equipment is located at sill step level. No need to climb higher than first ladder than cross over if necessary? Additionally brake club has a shoulder strap that is attached by Velcro any resistance it will fall away from employees person....thanks for inquiry ....Any Q's please E-mail

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

Date: 07/21/13 15:23

Sounds like you have a tool that meets all you needs. It enables you to stay clear of the of the RED ZONE ......Opening and closing angle cocks, adjusting drawbars and securing handbrakes. In a yard environment seems to be the right fit. Yard operations normally don't call for a large number of hand brakes, majority of yard operation are minimum of 2 - 5 hand brakes. The Brakeclub is more for a road trainmen that depending on grade could call for a minimum of 4 to 60 handbrakes. This is where the brakeclub would benefit a employee being able to holster and be mobile. The fatigue factor of ascending and/or descending 60 hand brakes is a risk. Additionally, the brake club is attached by Velcro, any resistance it will fall away from employees person....thanks for inquiry ....Any Q's please E-mail

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

Date: 07/21/13 15:29

Yes the original brakeclub was hickory was sold with guarantee of not breaking. If you watch the Emperor of the north ? He preferred a sledge hammer .....R.I.P Ernest

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

Date: 07/23/13 16:01
Author: fbe

I agree with the hand brakes on one side then cross over to the other side to finish. Some times we just tie all the brakes on one side and skip those on the other leaving a note for the relief crew.

It would be nice to be able to reach across or up to one of those grain cars with a high wheel to avoid the climb. A third section would do that for you without adding much weight.

While I agree there is rarely a need to go above the first rung on a ladder if the handle sticking down below the waist can get hung up it eventually will. Riding higher on the shoulder comes with it's own design dynamics for impingement. Velcro is a mixed blessing. The safety vests now in use have lots of Velcro but if a protrusion on the car happens to catch both sides of the vest at the same time you do not get a release.

We had Brake Sticks at a couple of industries where I worked. I liked to use them but I am short, that stirrup step can be a reach. Others barely tried them. You have to learn to build them into the work flow. At night your hands get pretty full with a switch list, lantern, radio mix button and a brake application tool all at once.

I think the idea has merit, I hope you can get enough into the hands of working rails to get more direct feedback. I would be happy to give one a tryout but I retired.

I was employed early enough to get to use the old wooden brake club on log flats.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 07/23/13 18:33

Very well written ! Enjoy your retirement ....Thxs for the dialog

Darryl Smith
Cherry Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds