Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Raton Pass Pondering

Date: 10/09/13 09:37
Raton Pass Pondering
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Don't worry...this isn't a "when is BNSF going to start running over Raton again?" thread. I know better. :)

In all seriousness, I'm a bit surprised that BNSF hasn't taken one of the two mains on the east side of Raton out of service and stopped (actively) maintaining it. After all, when was the last time two trains met somewhere in that 15 mile stretch of 2MT!?

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/09/13 10:00
Re: Raton Pass Pondering
Author: DRGW

Was one of the mains that was damaged in the bridge fire ever repaired? This was in the Starkville area I believe. I was under the impression that one of the 2 tracks was never replaced over that bridge?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/09/13 11:09
Author: SCAX3401

I am myself somewhat surprised about this as well. The South Track or Main Two from Wooton to Trinidad was always the "inferior" track and wasn't as smooth as the North Track or Main One. Originally double track extended from Raton to Trinidad the entire distance. Even today on the western side of Raton, there really is much "single track" as the extended Raton Siding and the Keota Siding make most of the west slope "two tracks".

I have never heard of any permanent track taken out of service near Starkville due to a bridge fire. The BNSF did remove the turnout at West Trinidad from Main 2 to the yard lead when the I-25 overpass structure was replaced a few years back.

Date: 10/09/13 11:45
Author: SD45X

Main two OOS just east of Jansen. Dirt pile and red flags each side of bridge. Alta st. X-ing.
Last supt. indicated main two was to be pulled up. I think it got a reprieve due to all the flood expenditure incurred last couple years.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/09/13 14:08
Author: ats90mph

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Main two OOS just east of Jansen. Dirt pile and
> red flags each side of bridge. Alta st. X-ing.
> Last supt. indicated main two was to be pulled up.
> I think it got a reprieve due to all the flood
> expenditure incurred last couple years.
>
> Posted from Android

So between Wooten and Jansen it's still in service?

Date: 10/09/13 17:24
Author: NH2006

Just the idea of never hearing a train on Main 2 over the pass again makes me very sad....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds