Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A U.P. caboose in a park along BNSF transcon

Date: 10/29/13 17:20
A U.P. caboose in a park along BNSF transcon
Author: JoCoLB

Tell me it can't be. Just saw a headline on the front page of the Osage County (KS) Herald-Chronicle newspaper of Oct. 10, 2013, (thumbnail only, since I'm not a subscriber) that aroused my interest. But I couldn't enlarge the article or accompanying photos.

It's a bit unusual from what I could detect. Basically, a couple has donated a former Union Pacific caboose for the City of Melvern's planned railroad park next to the BNSF Railway's transcon (Emporia Sub.) that slices through the southeast corner of Osage County, Kansas. It certainly looked like a yellow U.P. caboose in the miniature newspaper photos I could make out. Hopefully, the caboose will be repainted in former ATSF colors. Or even modern-day BNSF colors.

Has anyone been to Melvern for photos during the past 2-1/2 weeks or more to note the recent trackside addition and related park grounds activity?

This is a most interesting development for railfans. (Let me repeat: It can't be --- a yellow U.P. caboose beside the BNSF/ex-ATSF.)

Melvern residents and others will probably say I'm over-reacting. Melvern folks have envisioned a railroad-themed public park for the past several years. And some form of congratulations would seem to be in order. After all, a caboose of any size or shape is a caboose. Does the color scheme really matter? The caboose now belongs to Melvern and I'm sure it is making citizen volunteers in the small community most happy and proud.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/13 15:56 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 10/29/13 17:31
Re: A U.P. caboose in a park along BNSF transcon?
Author: nickatnight

I daresay the color scheme would matter to perhaps 2% of park users. Is that significant?

Nickatnight

Date: 10/29/13 17:36

I guess I got a little bit ahead of myself.

I just did a Google search and the Osage City Herald-Chronicle article popped up. Someone else will have to give you the link information for TO.

The story said the caboose is U.P. No. 25836. It was previously positioned in the large yard of a home along the north side of I-70 west of Topeka. And the story said it will be repainted. But in what color scheme remains to be seen (and photographed).

(Attached photo courtesy of The Osage City Herald-Chronicle online edition.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/13 17:45 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 10/29/13 17:37
Author: john7968

believe there is an ex-BN caboose in downtown Bonner Springs, KS near the UP ex MP main. It is home of the local tourist info assn., it is painted yellow I think last time I saw but no RR lettering

Date: 10/29/13 17:38

That bridge in the background spans the BNSF double main and has long been a favorite perch for railfans and photographers.

Date: 10/29/13 17:40
Author: imrl

john7968 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> believe there is an ex-BN caboose in downtown
> Bonner Springs, KS near the UP ex MP main. It is
> home of the local tourist info assn., it is
> painted yellow I think last time I saw but no RR
> lettering

It is a former BN caboose which is located to the UP main. However, it was never a Missouri Pacific route.

Date: 10/29/13 17:49

The former ATSF Railway did have a presence in Bonner Springs for decades, with the line running north to Lansing and Leavenworth. An interlocker existed between the ATSF and U.P. at the southwest corner of the city.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/13 18:19 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 10/29/13 18:15

Here's a couple of photos of the former BN caboose in Bonner Springs, Kan., that sports a yellow paint job but no U.P. logo or emblem.

Date: 10/29/13 18:31

A Google search also uncovered a story in the May 10, 2001, edition of The Bonner Springs Chieftain about the Centennial Park caboose. A professional railroader living in neighboring Edwardsville told The Chieftain he served as a conductor on the caboose in local service for six years previously while the caboose was assigned to a BN local train between Kansas City and Olathe, KS.

Date: 10/29/13 18:44

Bonner Springs did a most ethical thing by not including any railroad lettering or logo on its park caboose. Perhaps the caboose at Melvern will also become a "Plain Jane," with only the park name showing. Maybe the folks in Melvern will conduct a formal community survey to actually select the primary color when the new paint job is carried out. (As an outsider, I personally vote for K-State Purple.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/13 19:38 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 10/29/13 18:55

I forgot to mention that a railroad park is also envisioned for the city of Lebo, KS, a short distance west of Melvern on the same BNSF subdivision. I haven't checked out Lebo in more than a year. Hope I haven't missed any possible new developments there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/13 18:59 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 10/29/13 19:15
Author: unclebob

Medicine Lodge, KS has an ex-BN caboose next to the former ATSF Medicine Lodge Subdivision tracks for tourist info. It is painted bright red with the yellow ATSF shield but no name. It just does not look right to me, but most people won't know.

Mike

Date: 10/29/13 19:44
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
Here is the best side of UP 25836 caboose that was sitting 5 miles West of Topeka. They better paint it back like it should be complete with slogan. Pic. taken middle of this year. upkpfan

Date: 10/29/13 21:28

I'm picky about some things. Guess I'm one who wants to see authentic things that remain historically accurate when they are restored.

Date: 10/29/13 21:39

Another thought related to my Tuesday night craziness: Does anyone have a picture of an ex-ATSF/BNSF bay-window caboose passing through Melvern, KS, in past years. I'd like to forward one along to the Melvern Caboose Committee for an in-depth study.

Date: 10/30/13 08:12
Author: ntharalson

thtinc41ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another thought related to my Tuesday night
> craziness: Does anyone have a picture of an
> ex-ATSF/BNSF bay-window caboose passing through
> Melvern, KS, in past years. I'd like to forward
> one along to the Melvern Caboose Committee for an
> in-depth study.

I would rather doubt that such an occurance ever
happened. The BN only had two bay window cabooses
(cabeese?) and they were assigned to the iron ore
territory for taconite loading due to clearance
restrictions.

Aside: I'm not sure if the Frisco had bay window
cars, I think they did. But, if they did, they were
in local service on the BN and not pool cars. The two
cars I mentioned above were the ex-GN pair modified
for taconite loading.

The only bay window cars the Santa Fe had were ex-TP&W
cars from that ill-fated union. On the Santa Fe, their
principal job was transfer work in the Kansas City area,
and seldom, if ever, made trips over the road, i.e. west
or east of the Kansas City switching district.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/18/14 12:35
Author: tpwman

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0755 seconds