Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Odd railfan adventures

Date: 03/07/01 10:26
Odd railfan adventures
Author: webmaster

I am catching up but I wanted to tell everyone about my wacky fan adventures from the past week.

It all started on Friday when I took my son to Knotts Berry Farm. In Buena Park I saw an odd looking UP four axle locomotive switching. It looked like a baby tunnel motor with see through screens in the rear bottom. I wrote the engine number down, but unfortunately I missplaced it. What is it, and how many are out there?

At Knotts we rode a Galloping Goose on their narrow guage line. This bizarre rail vehicle is pretty much a school bus with wheels on it. I laughed when the engineer (bus driver) started it up as I felt like I was on my way to school. It had all the controls of typical bus, minus the steering wheel. Nothing like watching the engineer (bus driver) put the train in first gear. A real treat as I heard of these things and always wanted to ride one. They also have an interesting propane powered locomotive on the kid guage in Camp Snoopy.

To round out the weekend, Sunday was the best. I live off the Saugus Line in Santa Clarita and there is one window in my house that if I look at the exact right moment into the valley I might see a train headed toward Palmdale. This was one of those times.

Grabbed my son, tossed him into the car seat and proceded up the freeway towards Soledad Canyon. I figured we would see a typical intermodal since that is all the freight we get other than a local. Wrong!! Would you believe two E Units from the Santa Clarita Railway, a string of loaded ballast hoppers and caboose complete with rear red light.

We chased this train up the Canyon to Vincent which is just before Palmdale. There is nothing like being in the canyon and hearing first generation diesels humping up grade. Too cool!

Along the way we ran into someone part of the railroad who told me they were filming the X-Files Monday and they would be going as far as Vincent. I would have like to talk to this guy longer, but we were both in a hurry as he was snapping pictures and I did not want to miss an opportunity to have these relics pass me.

We caught the train at a number of locations. The best was probably a bridge/tunnel that goes beneath Soledad Canyon near the south entrance to the Canyon. Here we stood on top while the train roared underneath us. Another high point was closer to Acton when we paced the train along Soledad Canyon Road. Though a steamer would be better, not having anyone else around more than made up for it.

At Vincent they switched out the hoppers into the siding. From the looks of things I will assume that since they were going that way anyway, that Metrolink had them transport them.

It was beginning to rain and my wife must have wondered what happen to us since she was making dinner so we went home.
Sorry no pictures as the weather was lousy and I had no idea that I was going to get such a good hand.

Todd

Date: 03/07/01 10:38
RE: Odd railfan adventures
Author: cdub

Hi Todd,

Its nice to see that you were able to get out into the real world and get a away from this site for a while. I think I know what that UP locomotive is that you saw, what you called a "baby tunnel motor" (that's what I call them too). It is a GP15-1, with 1500 hp. I believe there are approximately 200 on UP's roster, as most were purchased by the MoP back in the late 70's and early 80's, with about 15 of those former CNW. They are mostly found in former MP territory, but some work in other parts of the system, like the LA basin, in yard, local and industrial switching duties.

Date: 03/07/01 10:56
Author: tolland

Todd, to agree with Cdub, you saw a GP15-1 in all likelihood. Both UP and BNSF have them, there's one in Cascade Green working the BNSF yard in Denver. The UP numbers were in the 1500's. Those units are pretty much spread throughout the UP system in local and yard service. When I lived in Boise, I occasionally would see one switching the Nampa yard. They came from MoPac and MKT as I recall.

The Galloping Goose is a remnant of the Rio Grande Southern in southwest Colorado, I believe. Knott's has a number of ex-DRGW and RGS artifacts, including a 2-8-0 from the RGS.

The clue to the heritage of the E-units you saw were the numbers. Being in the 9900 series, they likely came from BN commuter service in the Chicago area prior to Metra.

Tolland.

Date: 03/07/01 11:03
Author: Flagman

Todd, You did get a photo of the caboose didn't you? Scott in Mi.

Date: 03/07/01 11:19
Tolland?
Author: odub

Did the BNSF GP15s come from the Frisco?

Date: 03/07/01 11:25
RE: Tolland?
Author: tolland

I don't know where the BNSF units came from, but I have a photo of the one I was speaking about at the Denver Yard. Frisco might be a possibility.

Tolland.

Date: 03/07/01 11:44
Author: kwo

The BNSF GP15's did come from the Frisco.

Date: 03/07/01 11:57
Author: fredt

GP15-1's UP from MP & CNW, BNSF from SLSF, none from the MKT. On the Goose, the Rio Grande Southern built these for passenger and mail service, were far cheaper to operate than a steam train. Their brakes left a lot to be desired, though. Colorado RR Museum has a good book on them.

Date: 03/07/01 12:24
Author: NDHolmes

Originally being an Iowa boy before the move to Colorado, GP15s were a fairly common sight on the CNW branches. We've always referred to them as "culvert motors", being as that's about the closest thing we have to a tunnel in Iowa. Don't know where the nickname came from (neither I nor any of my railfanning friends thought of it - we borrowed it from someone else), but always seemed fitting.

Date: 03/07/01 14:00
Author: danf

Sure funny you posted those pictures of those E-Units. They are featured in a T.V. commercial that has been airing here in the Bay Area quite often lately. Can't seem to remember the name of the product, but I think it is some sort of car commercial.

I'm guessing those are former BN E-Units, judging by their numbers. Anyone have any other info about them?

Date: 03/07/01 14:14
E Units
Author: ssw

WHen I was in sixth grade, four years ago, my class took a trip to tennessee from Texas. We rode the Broadway Dinner Train. Those E's look EXACTLY like those that were on the broadway. Kinda reminded me of Louisville and Nashville colors. I heard it went belly up, and was wondering where those E's went. Could these be those?

SSW

Date: 03/07/01 14:25
RE: E Units
Author: kdoug

The two Santa Clarita E-Units are from Tennessee. The 9913 is former BN 9913 and the other one was originally a PRR unit. I have the full history of the ex-PRR unit, but the info is not available to me right now.

A couple of years ago, I was able to get behind the fence and confirm the frame number of the former PRR unit.

Date: 03/07/01 18:37
Author: srman

The E units were painted in the oldL&N paint scheme to celebrate theTennessee Bicentinial in 1996 of whichthey were run all over the state. One#1996 was ex BN 9913/9983 ex.CB&Q9988B. The other #1776 was ex.PRR 5794.I photographed them when they were at Gallitin Tn.in July of '96. Good to see that they're still running.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0612 seconds