Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP's OSL Signal Bridges

Date: 04/11/14 08:19
UP's OSL Signal Bridges
Author: zwsplac

Any signal bridges still alive and kicking on UP's Oregon Short Line Between Granger, WY and Hinkle, OR? I was surprised last September to find a handful still in use. I'd like to make another trip up to get a few more photographs, and was hoping that someone could confirm whether any are standing and if so how much time they have left. As of last September, there were a cluster between Glenns Ferry and Reverse Idaho, one at McCammon Idaho, a couple at Montpelier Idaho, and one at Granger Wyoming. I can't remember whether there were still any at Kemmerer Wyoming. If there are others I've missed, let me know. I'd like to make a quick trip this summer to get a few more photos of UP's historic signal bridges if possible, whether on the Oregon Short Line or elsewhere. Thanks.

1. E Reverse Idaho

2. Medbury Idaho

3. Montpelier Idaho

Date: 04/11/14 08:24
Re: UP's OSL Signal Bridges
Author: mojaveflyer

It's good to see there are some left. Photo #1 is great, certainly IOTD material! Nice stuff.

Date: 04/11/14 10:02
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Wow! I LOVE that first photo! Perfect! I agree --
IOTD! Stunning! SO glad there are still some SP-era
signal bridges left. Like the other photos, too -- just not
spectacular. SO glad you are documenting these
wonderful structures!

Date: 04/11/14 10:07
Author: Jared

There's one in Inkom, ID.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/14 13:38
Author: bobk

Great shots, especially #1!

Date: 04/11/14 15:48
Author: bobdavis

The four in Montpelier, ID - two at each end of town - were alive and well as of yesterday - Thursday April 10th. I saw no sign of any replacement signals. There may still be a couple of bridges around Kemmerer, WY as well but I haven't been down that way in nearly a year. As far as I know, most or all of the ones on the double track between East Blaser and Topaz are gone.

Bob

Date: 04/11/14 18:38

Yes, the ones around Lava Hot Springs are gone. Good to hear about Montpelier, thanks for the information. Anybody know if they're still in use between Glenns Ferry and Reverse, ID?

Date: 04/12/14 07:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Image one is beautiful. I hope you can share some more.
John

Date: 04/12/14 09:16
Author: the_expediter

Shot one is beautiful...There will come a day when these bridges are a memory...Steve

Date: 04/12/14 11:00
Author: philhoov

I think the one @ Glenns Ferry (Sailor Creek Road) is still there.

Date: 04/12/14 15:59
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/12/14 17:06
Author: raydrs

Thank you! Excellent-hope you show more.

Date: 04/12/14 23:25
Author: erben22

The signal bridges at Reverse and Glenns Ferry still stand. As of about six weeks ago at least, the old signal bridge still stood in Mountain Home, although the searchlights are turned and the new signal bridge stands guard now. Pretty sure the one just west of Hammett still stands (searchlight equipped), as well as the one just west of MP386 in picture #2. No new signals in place at any of those locations on the Nampa Sub as of about six weeks ago.

In the attached image, the signal bridge shown in image #1, on a slightly different day (January 6, 2001), as a pair of head-end helpers leads a westbound MNPHK cresting the grade at the east end of Reverse.

Date: 04/13/14 12:23

Thanks for the great info! Looks like another trip is in order for more shots.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/14/14 20:07
Author: btd37s

NICE PICS THANK YOU

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds