Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Binney Junction, Marysville, CA 04-12-2014

Date: 04/15/14 18:58
Binney Junction, Marysville, CA 04-12-2014
Author: althewelder

Saturday I spent the day with my friends from Calrailfans at Binney Junction which is located in Marysville ,Ca. This is where the old WP and SP main lines cross at diamonds on their way towards the Feather River Canyon and Dunsmuir. It is now the UP Valley Sub from Roseville to Dunsmuir, Ca and the UP Sacramento Sub from Sacramento to Oroville. BNSF runs trackage rights trains from Stockton, Ca to the Keddie Wye up the UP Sacramento and Canyon Subs where they join the BNSF High line at the famous Keddie trestle.

Here are some pictures and a video of the some of the trains I saw while at the diamonds. In the last scene of the video where the UP train is going away from the camera, you can see something white go flying by. It is not a UFO but a drone one of the group members had.

Picture one is a Manifest Southbound on the Valley Sub, coming through the diamonds heading to Roseville.
Picture two is a Northbound Manifest on the Valley Sub, passing the switch to the Sacramento sub and about to go through the diamonds heading to Dunsmuir.
Picture three is the same Manifest as in picture two being buzzed by a local crop duster that was flying around most of the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 05:35 by althewelder.

Date: 04/15/14 18:59
Re: Binney Junction, Marysville, CA 04-12-2014

Picture four is a Southbound Manifest passing the switch to the Sacramento sub towards Sacramento and heading South on the Valley Sub to Roseville.
Picture five is a Manifest coming off of the Sacramento sub from the Canyon sub and the Feather River Canyon and transferring to the Southbound Valley Sub to Roseville.
Picture six is the DPU from the train in picture five. It is nice to see some C&NW units still out there even if they are patched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 05:36 by althewelder.

Date: 04/15/14 19:00

Picture seven is of a pretty new UP “heavy” unit coming off of the Sacramento Sub and heading South on the Valley sub to Roseville.
Picture eight is a Westbound BNSF Manifest coming down the Sacramento Sub and heading into the diamonds and on to Stockton.

Thanks for looking,

AL Bayer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 05:37 by althewelder.

Date: 04/15/14 21:42

Trying to add the video again.

AL

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/15/14 22:22
Author: portlander

Nice Series! One minor correction. Binney Jct. is the Valley Sub and Sacramento Sub. The Canyon Sub starts at Mitchell Avenue east of Oroville.

Date: 04/16/14 05:33

portlander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice Series! One minor correction. Binney Jct. is
> the Valley Sub and Sacramento Sub. The Canyon Sub
> starts at Mitchell Avenue east of Oroville.

Oops. You are correct. I got a little ahead of myself on subs there.

Date: 04/16/14 07:21
Author: HomerBedloe

Great video of a junction I haven't seen a lot of coverage on. Any issues with crews and you being there photographing it?

And what the duce was the UFO at 3:40 in the video? Satellite burning up in the atmosphere <lol>?

Date: 04/16/14 21:28

Railfool03 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great video of a junction I haven't seen a lot of
> coverage on. Any issues with crews and you being
> there photographing it?
>
> And what the duce was the UFO at 3:40 in the
> video? Satellite burning up in the atmosphere ?

We did have a crew call us in and then they waved at us as they went by. UP police came by and asked us to move our vehicles about 50 yards away but said we could stay and photograph as long as we stay on the paved trail. He was very friendly and professional.

The flying white thing was a quad copter that one of the guys was flying around and filming the trains with.

Glad you liked the video.

AL Bayer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0728 seconds