Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mixed randomness from last Sunday and Monday

Date: 04/16/14 22:38
Mixed randomness from last Sunday and Monday
Author: oyw

Last Sunday and Monday were unusual in that my wife was out of town and I was also off work, allowing for a couple days of railfanning freedom. It wasn't as busy as I had hoped but enough to keep me occupied, and enough to generate the following post...hope you enjoy.

1) Since I had nothing but time, I made my mind up to wait above the overlook near Frost in Victorville on BNSF's Cajon Subdivision. After a long wait, BNSF 7738 leads a short 25 car westbound manifest just after 10AM. In hindsight it was probably a mistake as I only saw 2 other westbounds but I did have a nice chat with some fans visiting from New Zealand.

2) Back at home in Upland, I waited for the Santa Fe 3751 to leave San Bernardino and ran down to the tracks for this shot just west of Grove Ave at MP38. During Santa Fe ownership, this was the location of MP100 on the 2nd District.

3) It was only 3:30 so I decided to make another run up to the "Pass" where I met up with this Watson-bound ethanol train at Cajon. It had a very rare leader (for SoCal) BNSF SD70ACe 9191 so I raced down to the old Cajon campground for this shot.

4 more parts to follow...

Date: 04/16/14 22:40
Re: Mixed randomness from last Sunday and Monday

4) Bringing up the rear, DPU's 4686 and Grinstien SD70MAC 9760...and the chase was on.

5) Next stop, Baseline in San Bernardino along the newly completed 215 freeway.

6) Last stop, Palymrita Ave in Riverside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 22:51 by oyw.

Moving on to Monday morning, I headed over to Colton hoping for the SanJac local to run but he was nowhere to be found. The signals were lined for eastbound traffic so I stuck around the area anyway.

7) While waiting at Rana, BNSF C-4 6516 showed up looking real good for being over a year old.

8) Minutes behind the 6516, brand new UP SD70AH 8848 came off the UP connector with empty (coal?) hoppers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 23:06 by oyw.

9) A roster of the 8848.

10) Compare to BNSF 9191, SD70Ace from the day before.

11) Two nice eastbounds were too much for me to let go, so it was back up to the Pass again. 6516 from the Swarthout Road crossing in Blue Cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 23:16 by oyw.

12) Finally the 8848, also at Blue Cut. It was just about "high-sun" so I went home to get some yard done.

I thought I was finished for the day but, about 1PM I heard the Pasadena Local on the scanner coming west. So it was off to Pomona to see what kind of train he had. It turned out to be a nice looking red and silver GP60M duo of Santa Fe lettered 154 and BNSF lettered 128 leaving Pomona with 5 tanks and 10 covered hoppers.

13) While waiting at the green field in San Dimas, I met up with friend "tc" who already posted his excellent shots Monday here on TO.

14) One more before going back home, the train slowly approaches Glenwood Ave in Glendora just before 2PM.

That was it...thanks for taking the time to look.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 23:40 by oyw.

Date: 04/17/14 03:45
Author: SP8595

Those Warbonnets still look sharp!
UP 8848 was on an empty coal train. The symbol was the CLBSK-13 (Coal-Long Beach-Skyline Mine, UT)

Date: 04/17/14 05:27
Author: Atsf814

Wow what a day! Thanks for sharing these outstanding shots Bob!

Date: 04/17/14 08:43
Author: Hookdragkick

If you hadn't supplied info for your photos, I'd of assumed photo #1 was taken in Gallup, NM!

Also, the tank next to the local's power looks like its placarded for Hazmat... if it's diesel, then no harm.

Date: 04/17/14 10:15
Author: PasadenaSub

Great bunch, Bob. You even make the high sun on the Pasadena local look good. Tuesday's train was also substantial through Glendora, with 6 cars.

Rich

Date: 04/17/14 10:22
Author: rev66vette

Well, if you were looking for variety, you certainly found it!! :) Great stuff!

Date: 04/17/14 12:59
Author: SCKP187

Super stuff. One end of the spectrum to the other in variety of motive power, color and scenery. Thanks for showing all this.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/17/14 15:25
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/17/14 17:19
Author: Cajon92

Excellent posting, Bob. I enjoyed them all but those shots of the Pasadena Local are eye catchers for sure. Thanks for sharing,

~Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds