Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains Little Rock April 18 including a buzzard on trac

Date: 04/18/14 21:25
Trains Little Rock April 18 including a buzzard on trac
Author: arkansasrailroader

1-Little Rock Port Authority locomotive LLPX 2014
2-CN 2247 LLPX 2289 and BNSF 6751 colorful consist passing Union Station
3-Buzzard landing on the tracks to get a meal of something dead

My webpage below contains the following:
Friday, April 28, 2014 at Union Station Little Rock. I saw a Little Rock Port Authority locomotive and locomotives from UP, BNSF, CN, LRWN, LLPX. Plus my usual assortment of freight cars. Caught a buzzard feeding on the tracks and a dove on the platform. Locomotives: LLPX 2014-Little Rock Port Authority, 2289 *** BNSF 6751, 9126, 5163, 9945 *** CN 2247 *** LRWN 1541, 103, 2017 *** UP 7388, 7946, 7602, 4677, 5872, 6459, 4518, 5017, 6003, 8789, 6938 (on display at Jenks).

Click this link to view more photos:
http://thundertrain.org/trains-041814.html

Ken Z

Date: 04/18/14 21:34
Re: Trains Little Rock April 18 including a buzzard on
Author: GP30Frank

Your friend looks like a turkey buzzard. In my neighborhood, we also have black buzzards. They are both very efficient at what they do.

Date: 04/18/14 23:54
Author: UPTRAIN

Here's that GP15-1 on April 5, 2014 sitting outside Mid-America Car in Kansas City (where it was painted).

Pump

Date: 04/19/14 07:17
Author: Torisgod

Little Rock Port Authority is a sort of an oxymoron. Where is there a port in Little Rock?

Tor in Eugene

Date: 04/19/14 08:08
Author: ntharalson

Torisgod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Little Rock Port Authority is a sort of an
> oxymoron. Where is there a port in Little Rock?
>
> Tor in Eugene

Probably a river port on the Arkansas River.

I'm more interested in the ancestry of this unit.
Ex-CNW??

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/19/14 09:32
Author: darkcloud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/14 22:41 by darkcloud.

Date: 04/19/14 09:46
Author: a737flyer

The Arkansas River divides Little Rock from North Little Rock. There is a small port, but Port Authorities manage all forms of shipping terminals. I am not certain if they manage the airport but that would be quite a common thing.

Date: 04/19/14 10:21
Author: arkansasrailroader

Torisgod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Little Rock Port Authority is a sort of an
> oxymoron. Where is there a port in Little Rock?
>
> Tor in Eugene

Yes, there is a Port of Little Rock and the Arkansas River is navigable all the way from it's mouth at the Mississippi River in southeast Arkansas at Napoleon to Tulsa and several barges pass under UP's Baring Cross bridge daily. The lift span is raised each time a barge passes under the bridge, which separates Little Rock from North Little Rock, and this, of course, stops both of UP's main lines. I understand the liftspan is controlled by UP in the Omaha dispatch center. The Little Rock Port Authority is home to several manufacturing facilities, including a windmill turbine plant.

Here's a rundown on the Arkansas River: At 1,469 miles (2,364 km), it is the sixth-longest river in the United States, the second-longest tributary in the Mississippi–Missouri system, and the 45th longest river in the world. Its origin is in the Rocky Mountains in Lake County, Colorado, near Leadville. It passes through Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas until it reaches the Mississippi River at Napoleon, in southeast Arkansas. Author Mark Twain talked about Napoleon in one of his novels.

Date: 04/19/14 10:55
Author: NDHolmes

For whoever asked on its heritage, I don't have an exact unit number but it's likely ex-CNW. The only two GP15-1 buyers that I can think of that had nose notches were CNW (bell) and Frisco (signal light). The Frisco units didn't appear to have the vents on the side up near the exhaust vents, whereas the Northwestern units did.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds