Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Northern portion on the BNSF Peavine.

Date: 04/20/14 13:41
Northern portion on the BNSF Peavine.
Author: arizonaBNSF

I've done quite a bit of railfanning on the southern portion of the BNSF Phoenix Subdivision since 2008, but very little in Northern Arizona other than Ash Fork and Williams. I've spent some time exploring this portion of the line on Google Maps and it looks like the horseshoe curve at Corva is accessible by taking Welsh Rd. from the I-40 back a few miles. Sereno and Supai looks accessible by getting off the I-40 at Devil Dog Rd. and following roadbed from the long gone southern main line of the transcon. Ive never been down these roads and there are very few pictures online taken at these spots. Has anybody ever been back in there and could provide information on how good the roads are and how good the spots look for railfanning. A picture taken at Sereno a few years back shows the old ATSF station sign still there. I'd like to check out thdse spots this spring if it is possible to get to them.

Date: 04/20/14 15:18
Re: Northern portion on the BNSF Peavine.
Author: gp60m143

I went back there approximately three years ago and its worth the visit. You can access the horseshoe you referenced although some hiking is required to get some good photos to illustrate the curve. I would recommend a 4x4, the access road as I recall had several large rocks and gaps in the ruts that caused several scratches to the rental car.

Date: 04/21/14 13:40
Re: Northern portion on the BNSF Peavine.
Author: arizonaBNSF

I do have a Subaru Forester, its all wheel drive, but not a terribly big vehicle. It was fine on the road from Devil Dog Rd. to McLellan reservoir which isn't a long drive, but the road is pretty bad in spots.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds