Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Good morning from Abilene

Date: 04/23/14 09:47
Good morning from Abilene
Author: santafe199

I was up early and was going to be chasing Uncle Pete’s deadhead move of 18 business cars down the GSR from Herington, KS to ‘where ever’. My day started making a pot of coffee at 0345. While having my first mug I prepped this week’s Toto so I could post it just after 0400 (so it would actually come up in the Tuesday block). I wolfed down a plate o’ bacon & eggs, fed the cat, grabbed the cameras (oops, give a battery a quick charge) and was out the door by 0510. Willie’s gas tank was filled and by 0530 I was outta town heading down McDowell Creek road toward I-70.

I would be making a little diversionary blip on the trek to Herington. I wanted to do some tripod time-exposure stuff in Abilene, KS, just slightly out of the way. With the holiday I was pretty sure there would be something sitting around this old Santa Fe town worthy of photographic attention. Here is one of my results:

1. BNSF 1612 is snoozing at 0635 in Abilene, KS on April 22, 2014.

Thanks for riding along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/14 09:49 by santafe199.

Date: 04/23/14 13:14
Re: Good morning from Abilene
Author: rrman6

Lance, I can hear her snoring!! A great shot!

Date: 04/23/14 14:32
Author: ATSF93

Lance - First it's post-sundown shots, now it's pre-sunrise shots. Your nights must be short. Just don't fall asleep with the shutter open.

Fred in Wichita

Date: 04/23/14 15:28
Author: santafe199

ATSF93 Wrote:
> Your nights must be short.

32 years of train service teaches a body how to operate on 3-4 hours of sleep. When sufficiently motivated, one can stay awake at length. Ya just catch up on sleep at some time to be designated later. That's why every railroader you ever met was/is always bright & cheery, the picture of perfect health!!! (If ya believe THAT, I've got some ocean-front property to sell you; real cheap. Oh... yeah well, it's swamp land right now, but it'll be prime real estate...
some day.... ;^)

> Just don't fall asleep with the shutter open.

That might result in shot a little on the WASHED-OUT side... I'd hate to waste pixels on that!

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/19 09:46 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0325 seconds