Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 1982 eastbound at Mtn Green, Utah, 16 July

Date: 07/17/14 08:59
UP 1982 eastbound at Mtn Green, Utah, 16 July
Author: lee_uintah

UP 1982 leads an NS unit and its train eastbound in Weber canyon at MP 979.5, the morning of 16 July. This location is Mountain Green, Utah. The train crosses over the Weber River at this point, which is a favorite spot for fishermen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/14 12:00 by lee_uintah.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/17/14 12:34
Re: UP 1982 eastbound at Mtn Green, Utah, 16 July
Author: BlaineM

On Monday 14 June because of a very late #6 we drove to Provo then chased it to Soldier Summit. While waiting for it to arrive my wife said she heard a train horn. In a few minutes 1982 appeared I wasn't quite ready but did get a photo. After #6 passed we drove back down the canyon to catch 1982 again. We stopped at Gilully to wait. I spotted it on the upper level moving ever so slow. About that time an eastbound came by with a single unit on the lead and two on the rear. We had seen this train below the tunnels thinking it was westbound. Soon this train was on the upper level approaching 1982. It slowed and as it approached it stopped short of 1982. Then 1982 began backing it went in reverse for about 1/2 mile. Then the east bound passed and continued up the hill. Soon 1982 started down the hill. It approached Gilully then after it had passed beneath underpass it stopped.
I studied this area on google map and found no passing track on the upper level only the one up hill from Gilully. I was confused as to why 1982 had stopped then reversed up the hill for that short distance.
Would anyone know why 1982 went so slow then stopped then went in reverse for that distance?

Also it appears this was the same train including the NS unit and hoppers that Lee Uintah videoed eastbound at Uinitah.
Blaine
American Fork Utah

Date: 07/19/14 17:31
Re: UP 1982 eastbound at Mtn Green, Utah, 16 July
Author: frontier

Glad to see it still being used.... Sticky throttle and all!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds