Home Open Account Help 403 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Who Needs 3/4 Wedgies?

Date: 07/22/14 09:01
Who Needs 3/4 Wedgies?
Author: nwkrailfan

I certainly don't! It seems like most railfans these days are fixated on getting that perfect telephoto, 3/4 wedgie, with perfect light at their back. Unfortunately, it gets rather boring quickly. Living in western Kansas I have always been amazed with the sunsets that happen out here on the High Plains. Last night was no different, as usual two storm systems split around Ellis leaving just a sliver of light in the western sky. Everything came together as I was headed back towards Ellis from Riga as I encountered a westbound empty coal train headed upgrade out of the Big Creek valley. A quick dash to the west end of Riga siding where the KP runs almost due north/south and a run out into the middle of a milo field netted the westbound against the fantastic sunset.

1) UP 5957 hustles upgrade with its train of empty coal hoppers as it heads for western Colorado and another load of black diamonds.
2) The UP 6661 does its duties as the rear DPU, as it pushes westward towards Sharon Springs where it will get a brief rest from its duties for a crew change.

Thanks for looking,
nwkrailfan

Date: 07/22/14 09:16
Re: Who Needs 3/4 Wedgies?
Author: santafe199

WOOF!! Here come another IOTD!?!! But gee willikers.... WHICH ONE? ;^)

Lance

Date: 07/22/14 09:32
Author: thehighwayman

nwkrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I certainly don't! It seems like most railfans
> these days are fixated on getting that perfect
> telephoto, 3/4 wedgie, with perfect light at their
> back. Unfortunately, it gets rather boring
> quickly.

Thank you!
I am NOT a photographer - strictly "point & shoot" type of guy, usually with a small video camera.
For the most part, the guys posting photos on TO are NOT the anal-retentive list every camera setting types - and I appreciate that about them!
But I do like so see other-than-3/4 shots, including shots of equipment other that locomotives and of interesting or odd trackwork.
BTW ... the sunset shots are gorgous!!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 07/22/14 11:17
Author: bnsfsd70

Really like #1!

- Jeff

Date: 07/22/14 13:31
Author: twjurgens

Fantastic!

Date: 07/22/14 13:40
Author: mg8711

Wow! Impressive stuff yet again man.
Lucas

Date: 07/22/14 14:50
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!!

Date: 07/22/14 17:33
Author: arcticrail

Holy cow....you said what I was thinking about last week as I was sorting photos: "Sheesh, I'm getting boring!" Really great photos!!!

Date: 07/22/14 20:21
Author: 3rdswitch

Great pair.
JB

Date: 07/22/14 21:04
Author: Evan_Werkema

nwkrailfan Wrote:

> I certainly don't! It seems like most railfans
> these days are fixated on getting that perfect
> telephoto, 3/4 wedgie, with perfect light at their
> back. Unfortunately, it gets rather boring
> quickly.

I'd say that's true of any particular photographic style. Silhouettes can be very moving, and yours are top-notch, but imagine if most railfans these days were fixated on getting perfect silhouettes. There's not much to differentiate a UP train from a BNSF, NS, or CSX train in a silhouette, or for that matter Ellis, KS from Bill, WY or Etter, TX. We already complain about the limited variety of subject matter with a small number of Class 1's and a "sterilized" railroad plant...reduce all of that to black shapes against the sky and you've got even less variety. Post several hundred a day to a discussion forum and see how long the interest lasts.

The conventional sunny wedgie is popular because it tends to be the best technique for documenting a thing and a place, while most non-conventional techniques (silhouettes, blurs, streak-o-light night shots, fisheye distortions, etc.) are more about conveying an emotion, creating a mood or sensation, etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's all good. I like looking at good "artsy" photography, and at the same time I'm glad there are also plain old 3/4 shots of stuff with dates and locations duly recorded. Shucks, you'd think I liked trains or something... ;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0627 seconds