Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > After Cicero (pt #2)

Date: 07/22/14 10:56
After Cicero (pt #2)
Author: santafe199

Here’s a continuation of my photographic foray down to a BNSF transcon location between Mulvane & Wellington, KS called Cicero. After shooting an old friend (Blue & Yellow Warbonnet 1636) at Cicero crossovers, my impatient railfan tummy was howling for food. I backtracked my way toward Mulvane to find something to gnaw on. I also had in mind to do some shooting around Mulvane proper before heading up to the NRHS monthly meeting in Wichita later in the evening. In part #1 I posted some shots from locations I had not been to or through in nearly 30 years. On we go with part #2:

13. Stopping in tiny Belle Plaine, KS I nearly missed BNSF 7131 racing west with double stacks. Geez, Louise! That train sure blew through here FAST! (“On the go, at Seven-Oh”, just like I remember from my Santa Fe days… ;^)

14. Arriving in Mulvane, KS I took a very wide-angled record/scene shot that I somehow failed to record “back in the day”. I had a wide angle lens in those days, so there’s no excuse… We’re looking basically south as the crow files. On the right is the route (main #1?)* back to the Emporia Sub (former Middle Division 4th District). The Emporia Sub (main #2?) bypasses Mulvane to the south and is hidden back there behind the line of trees. BNSF 5472 (see image #11 in pt #1) sits there waiting for traffic congestion to ease up a bit. And on the left is the route down the Arkansas City Sub (former Middle Division 3rd District) to Winfield & ‘Ark’ City. The Arkansas City Sub will pass underneath the Emporia Sub, also out of sight just around the corner. (*someone may have to correct my track identification…)

Date: 07/22/14 10:57
Re: After Cicero (pt #2)

15. 16. & 17. Speaking of around the corner… here comes the reason the 5472 is sitting still. Running rights tenant UP 6755 is heading toward Wichita with a unit hopper train approaching & crossing busy Bridge Street (KS hwy 53) at the south edge of Mulvane.

Date: 07/22/14 10:58

18. 19. & 20. I take up a position on a residential crossing just north (TT east) of Mulvane. That’s KS hwy 15 on the left. Old friend from Cicero (in pt #1) & Bridge St (image #14 here), BNSF 5472 departs Mulvane on its way up to Wichita.

Date: 07/22/14 11:00

I finally get the chance to grab a bite, then I head out east of Mulvane to East Jct, where the Emporia Sub splits, sending main #2* skating around the southern edge of town and main #1* into town to connect with the Arkansas City Sub. (*see asterisk above)

21. 22. & 23. I’m camping out at the E 95th Street overpass just east of Mulvane. I had been here once before a while back, but frustratingly had to watch a couple of trains take the north route into town. Patience pays off as BNSF 6794 comes sliding gracefully around the curve and down main #2 with a stacker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/14 11:06 by santafe199.

Date: 07/22/14 11:01

Just one more:

24. I leave Mulvane and head for Wichita, doing some other miscellaneous shooting. I was able to record a scene right out of my memory banks: Here is BNSF 2797 and a Blue & Yellow companion puttering around N Wichita Yard. My very first assignment in Santa Fe train/yard service way back in June of 1978 was right here on the Wichita switchman’s extra board.
(photos 13-24 taken June 20, 2014)

Thanks for following along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 07/22/14 11:45
Author: zfan

Great photos! I've always wondered what those junctions looked like.

Date: 07/22/14 12:11
Author: mexrail

Strange move for the UP hopper train. I'm guessing empty grain hoppers came up the Coffeyville sub then interchanged to SKOL at Coffeyville for haulage over to Winfield then back to UP for trackage rights on BNSF to Wichita. Anyone confirm?

Mexrail

Date: 07/22/14 12:24
Author: oklachaser

Another great series of photos Lance.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 07/22/14 12:49
Author: Milw_E70

mexrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strange move for the UP hopper train. I'm
> guessing empty grain hoppers came up the
> Coffeyville sub then interchanged to SKOL at
> Coffeyville for haulage over to Winfield then back
> to UP for trackage rights on BNSF to Wichita.
> Anyone confirm?
>
> Mexrail

Negative, UP routinely uses trackage rights over the BNSF from DFW to Wichita.

Date: 07/22/14 14:23
Author: mexrail

Milw_E70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mexrail Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Strange move for the UP hopper train. I'm
> > guessing empty grain hoppers came up the
> > Coffeyville sub then interchanged to SKOL at
> > Coffeyville for haulage over to Winfield then
> back
> > to UP for trackage rights on BNSF to Wichita.
> > Anyone confirm?
> >
> > Mexrail
>
> Negative, UP routinely uses trackage rights over
> the BNSF from DFW to Wichita.

Ok thanks. Just surprised there would be a need to use BNSF vs the ex -CRIP through El Reno which I thought only sees maybe 10 trains a day?

Mexrail

Date: 07/23/14 07:35
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, Lance, thanks for posting.

That spot in #14 can be extremely frustrating. I stopped there one morning
in 2012 and I could hear westbounds on the south main blowing past me, but
couldn't see a thing. I ended up with an eastbound auto train off the Emporia
Sub onto the Ark City sub and chased it north, finally losing it a Florence.
Mulvane can be frustrating, but you did good.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0881 seconds