Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > AMT 42 at West Quincy Mo

Date: 07/22/14 20:15
AMT 42 at West Quincy Mo
Author: ns2557

Today's journey found me along US24 across Illinois into Missouri. After crossing the Mighty Mo at Quincy into Mo, I spied a yard to the south side of the Hwy there. Low and behold, I also spied AMT 42, the Veterans Unit on the point of what I can only guess is the NB Carl Sandburg, due to depart Quincy Il at 1730. Not sure where the actual AMT station is here, but this appears to be where it gets serviced at. My first time seeing this unit and I managed a shot or two to boot. Sometimes ya just never know what you'll run across, and like a good Boy Scout, "Always be prepared" Thanks for looking. All shots taken today July 22 2014 in West Quincy Mo. Ben

Date: 07/22/14 21:29
Re: AMT 42 at West Quincy Mo
Author: czephyr17

Nice!

No station in West Quincy; the last station stop is aross the river in Quincy, IL. I believe the former station in West Quincy (in Missouri) was destroyed by Mississippi River flooding a few years back.

Date: 07/23/14 02:20
Author: DFWJIM

Why does this train have two engines for four cars?

Date: 07/23/14 05:24
Author: burlingtonjohn

You should have seen the Mississippi last week when it was up; the old bridge carrying eastbound vehicle traffic was closed for a couple of days due to the high water.

The depot was not destroyed by the 1993 flood; it and everything else at West Quincy was torn down in 1993-1994 by the BN. The actual Amtrak depot is across the river in Quincy at 30th Street. As the passenger siding at West Quincy was removed, Amtrak used to park on a siding there until the local industries complained. The siding was re-installed and re-signaled to the tune of some serious $$$$$. The Zephyr and Sandburg both turn on the wye just to the north of your photo and back down into the siding for servicing.

As an aside, the 42 has been on the point of 381/382 for at least the last four days.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/23/14 06:17
Author: czephyr17

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The depot was not destroyed by the 1993 flood; it
> and everything else at West Quincy was torn down
> in 1993-1994 by the BN.

Thanks for clarifying that, for some reason I thought it was flood damage, probably because it was torn down at the same time as the big 1993 floods.

Date: 07/23/14 06:26
Author: burlingtonjohn

Nada problem. QGP30 has pictures of the demolition, I'll give him a yell.

Heritageunits.com has 42 on 381 again today. Unusual, to say the least.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/24/14 19:43
Author: Q-GP30

Amtrak had to pony up $250,000 for the siding at WQ to park Amtrak on. Track can hold two motors and seven cars max. You should have caught the BJRY action in Quincy, two GP16's and a SW1500/slug set on the riverfront and a C415 working the trackage on north 30th St.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds