Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Unit train of gons to Avard

Date: 07/23/14 08:33
Unit train of gons to Avard
Author: TTownTrains

While out and about Tuesday afternoon and killing time at the UP/BNSF diamond in Vinita, OK, a westbound unit train of 87 gons came by. Since I was heading west eventually anyway, I followed it for a while. The power was BNSF, Citirail, and CSXT. As they were approaching a meet at White Oak, they advised the eastbound that they were a 30 mph train and not to get in too big a hurry to clear the main for them. I'm told by a reliable source (thank you, sir!) that BNSF got this train from CSX at Memphis, and it was headed to Avard, OK where there is an industrial waste disposal facility (I think that's the proper term).

1. BNSF 5168 west rolls by what used to be PSO Jct prior to this section being double tracked. A crew change will take place in three more miles at DeGroat on the east side of Claremore, OK.

2. One of the gons and its placard.

3. A CSX heavy ES44 brings up the rear.

Bill Gillfillan
Tulsa, OK

Date: 07/23/14 08:47
Re: Unit train of gons to Avard
Author: SP8595

Great catch and consist! Nice to see the mixed BNSF and CSXT in DPU service.

Date: 07/23/14 08:57
Author: BCutter

Placard 3432 indicates Polychlorinated biphenyls, solid. Emergency Response Guide #171 for those that might be interested.

Bruce

Date: 07/23/14 09:06
Author: gmojim

Great, see these trains in Memphis empty and wondered where they were going,
they are off the CSX in Memphis and return that way.

gmojim

Date: 07/23/14 09:25
Author: SCAX3401

Mostly likely headed for the industrial waste landfill operated by Clean Harbors Environmental. I believe they have an unloading facility (transfer of waste to trucks) on the Avard Sub just east of its connection with the Transcon at Avard, OK. The landfill itself is a dozen miles or so south of Avard.

Date: 07/23/14 09:31

Is there also an industrial waste incinerator there at Avard?

Bill G.

Date: 07/23/14 10:27
Author: peoriarr1

These used to come via Galesburg I think (unless this is a different dirty dirt train). It is a 3 year contract out of NY state (hence the csx motor). There was a brief article on this train in Trains Magazine a few years ago.

Date: 07/23/14 11:16

No one has noticed the lantern hanging on the nose of the CSX unit just under the X. Somebody east of Memphis is probably wondering what happened to it. :-)

Bill G.

Date: 07/23/14 12:16
Author: scraphauler

Train was K255-14 on CSXT. Originates in Selkirk NY. It's PCB contamimnated sludge out of the Husdon River

http://www.epa.gov/hudson/

Date: 07/23/14 15:19
Author: SCAX3401

TTownTrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there also an industrial waste incinerator
> there at Avard?

I am now aware of one, but it is possible. I had that Clean Harbors Environmental has incinerators at other locations.

Date: 07/23/14 15:53
Author: rsanchez

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TTownTrains Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is there also an industrial waste incinerator
> > there at Avard?
>
> I am now aware of one, but it is possible. I had
> that Clean Harbors Environmental has incinerators
> at other locations.

http://www.cleanharbors.com/locations/index.asp?id=57 Probably heading for a burial at this landfill.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds