Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UTTX Trailer-Only Spine Car Photos?

Date: 07/30/14 19:24
UTTX Trailer-Only Spine Car Photos?
Author: tehachapifan

Looking for photos of the apparently-not-often-photographed UTTX trailer-only spine cars, before they were rebuilt into the longer TTLX cars. I believe these were also known as Impack cars and were also sometimes referred to as Fuel Foilers....although I believe the latter was more of an ATSF term. Thanks!

Date: 07/30/14 20:20
Re: UTTX Trailer-Only Spine Car Photos?
Author: intermodalres

Are these the type you are looking for?

Date: 07/30/14 20:24
Author: PHall

Those are 4 Runners, totally different cars.

Date: 07/30/14 21:43

Yes, those are not the cars, although the reporting marks are similar (TTUX vs. UTTX). The ones I'm looking for a 5 unit articulated cars that carry 45' max trailers. Thanks, though!

Date: 07/31/14 01:36
Author: funnelfan

A few pics that I could dig up.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3307007

http://www.boxcars.us/Boxcars_M_Z/US-UZ/pages/image072.html

http://www.boxcars.us/Boxcars_M_Z/US-UZ/pages/image073.html

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/31/14 07:07
Author: Hookdragkick

I've handled two of those TTLX spine cars. They sit real low to the ground, lowest of the spine car equipment. I also remember seeing the sections welded to each unit's deck to increase them over 45'.

Ill keep a look out, I work with too many baretables.

Date: 07/31/14 07:17
Author: twin_star_rocket

They are only Four Runners when drawbarred in 4 unit sets. These are the single "Front Runner" cars.

Brian Ehni

Date: 07/31/14 09:15

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Hookdragkick, the UTTX cars are no longer in existence, so no need to keep an eye out for them. Thanks, though! I believe they only survived into the early to maybe mid 90's prior to being rebuilt into TTLX cars.

Ted, I found those pictures too but one is a real head scratcher. The one from RRPA appears to show a platform with one road number connected to a platform with another road number, with a completely different looking car or platform on the other side. Yet the platforms appear to be connected via articulation joint. I think this car is in the middle of a rebuild at the time of the pic and had not been repainted and renumbered yet (the wheel platforms appear to be extended too). The other two pics, which are of the same car, are a bit odd too as it appears the road number is applied to platforms connected to one another, which is unusual for spine cars. Was the road number applied to every platform on this/these unit(s)?

Thanks!

Date: 07/31/14 18:55
Author: funnelfan

Those UTTX cars had all the platforms facing the same direction, so you are seeing two cars back to back.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/01/14 07:13
Author: kris54

These types of cars (OTTX) are no longer allowed to run on BNSF lines. They do not allow these at interchange. At 25,000 lbs. and a single axle they found them to dangerous to run on the mainline. Is was done in the late 90's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/14 07:14 by kris54.

Date: 08/01/14 10:06
Author: uprrman156

I remember the "fuel foilers" I think some were even 10 pack on the SF

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds