Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Pair of BNSF executive SD70Mac's on empty coal

Date: 07/31/14 19:28
Pair of BNSF executive SD70Mac's on empty coal
Author: Railfan2

A pair of BNSF MAC's in BN executive paint lead a westbound empty coal train in Galesburg down the Quincy main after arriving from Peoria Illinois yesterday

Date: 07/31/14 20:05
Re: Pair of BNSF executive SD70Mac's on empty coal
Author: coach

How old are these units now? I remember they were a very big deal when that 350 unit order was announced.

Date: 07/31/14 20:25
Author: ironmtn

A handsome pair. I still think it was a fine paint scheme. I'm OK with today's orange, and even with the power bar (aka swoosh) logo that seems not to be too well liked here on TO. But this paint scheme was better still, and I wish BNSF had adopted it or modestly modified it in some way to make it "new" with the merger, but still keep the essentials.

Mergers in almost every industry seem to always demand new designs, logos, paint schemes and "refreshed" or "renewed" branding. The designers, consultants and ad agencies love it and get their fat fees from the process. I fully understand the marketing logic, the attention to internal politics, and the perceived need to create a clear new image in eye of the public, customers and employees for the newly merged company. But I've never quite bought into the idea fully. I'm of a design school which holds that if you've got a great design, keep it. Works for me.

Of course, then there's the Warbonnet...no, let's not go there.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/14 20:35 by ironmtn.

Date: 08/01/14 00:33
Author: texaswestern70mac

@ coach... those locomotives are encroaching upon 20 years old now.. many are being rebuilt as the santa fe esque mentality of keeping old power forever still endures to some point. but i cant imagine those old BN motors will be around for 2020.

Will Hemb
Flower Mound, TX

Date: 08/04/14 15:23
Author: ns1000

NIIIICE...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds