Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trouble on Donner Pass

Date: 08/24/14 17:40
Trouble on Donner Pass
Author: Digger

I was fortunate to have caught sight of a string of empty well cars heading out of Reno, and since my meeting at work was wrapping up, I thought there might be a good chance that I would catch-up on my way home. My day got even better when I hit Boomtown, as I caught a glimpse of #5 skirting behind the hill. My first stop is where the video begins, at Floriston (MP 220.7), I just barely had time to set-up for #5. Jumping up to Truckee (MP 205.9), I found the string of empties I saw earlier departing Reno. The train and crew were waiting just before town, presumably giving Amtrak a clear track to Sacramento. Next, we see #5 emerge from the big hole. That is about the time when I started to hear radio chatter about trouble, and #5 planning to make an emergency stop at Soda Springs (MP189.7). This subject was discussed in a previous thread ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3492961 ), but I didn't have time to edit the video until this afternoon. Soda Springs is where the fun begins, I hope you enjoy the show!

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 17:44 by Digger.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/24/14 18:48
Re: Trouble on Donner Pass
Author: cyrail

I'm not much of an Amtrak fan but could be if i watched many a video like this. That was cool! Especially at the first part with the train coming through the cut. Was that barbed wire supporting the air hose couplings between the cars? Very entertaining.

Thanks for posting

Mark

Date: 08/24/14 19:44

cyrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not much of an Amtrak fan but could be if i
> watched many a video like this. That was cool!
> Especially at the first part with the train
> coming through the cut. Was that barbed wire
> supporting the air hose couplings between the
> cars? Very entertaining.
>
> Thanks for posting
>
> Mark

This is one of the things I enjoy about Trainorders! Thanks for taking the time to write the kind note, Mark. Makes the 3+ hours of editing not seem so bad!

Chris

Date: 08/24/14 19:54
Author: stash

That should win Video of the Month award!
Very well done.

Date: 08/24/14 20:50
Author: Doodle

Did the guy have to hitchhike to Sacramento?

Date: 08/24/14 20:55
Author: ChrisCampi

That may just be the best video I've seen on TO yet. Super job Chris. Thanks for the time well spent.

Chris

Date: 08/24/14 21:09
Author: bearease

Nice job! Shooting AND editing!
I esp. like the shot at ground level with the train leaving at left, and "Homeboy" pleading his case on the right!
Were you running multiple cameras at once? Or were you just running back & forth as things progressed?

Date: 08/24/14 21:25
Author: coach

I just started busting up laughing when the "Bad Boys" theme song came on--really funny! Great video!

Guy was dressed like a slob, probably smelled bad, and behaved badly. Off the train!

Date: 08/24/14 22:35

bearease Wrote:

> Were you running multiple cameras at once? Or were
> you just running back & forth as things
> progressed?

Single camera, from the same spot, just turned to follow the action. I would let it run while I took stills with the Nikon. The wide angle on the lens did a good job of capturing both the train and "Homeboy."

Thanks for all the comments, this has been a fun project. Not sure if he hitchhiked, but since he had a cell, I suspect he was working on getting a ride. Did you see the bag that he was carrying? The guy just doesn't fit the Hollister type to me.

Chris

Date: 08/25/14 00:29
Author: Washy

That was outstanding Chris!!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/25/14 07:41
Author: donner_dude1

Very amusing video..did the cop leave him at the Soda Springs crossing with his clothes? Did he hitchhike home?

Date: 08/25/14 14:50
Author: nycman

Great job, Chris.

Date: 08/25/14 21:53
Author: RV009

I see he's carrying a white San Joaquin Samsonite also. That's a clue he has a transfer for 704 at SAC

Date: 08/27/14 07:52

Thanks again for all the nice comments. Since posting this video to YouTube, it has made the rounds with some of the Amtrak crew and CSRM docents that work this route. I have been told by two sources that the conductor in the video is one of the nicest guys, and that it would have taken a lot of bad behavior for him to respond with removing a passenger in the middle of nowhere. An additional report says that the passenger threatened a dining car attendant.

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/14 07:53 by Digger.

Date: 08/27/14 16:53
Author: chakk

Have ridden with this conductor myself on the CZ and would agree that he is one of the mildest mannered train officials I've ever met.

Date: 08/27/14 21:33
Author: garr

rantoul Wrote:
> Like the video but find myself squirming: the
> trespassing, privacy and copyright issues could be
> the basis for a whole string of discussions.

Liked the video too. I could not tell there was any trespassing in the video. Looks like the camera was on the non-track side of the crossing arms.

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds