Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Barbed wire and Rail fanning

Date: 08/27/14 08:22
Barbed wire and Rail fanning
Author: MrHinoki

Sometimes it is necessary to get all wrapped up in barbed wire just to get a shot. A shot especially of an unusual train/locomotive or location. Here we see a West German(X) via Winnipeg(X) and Dallas(currently) wrapping himself in barbed wire at Moody Oregon grabbing a pic of the Northbound BNSF work train. The train shall cross over the Columbia shortly to reach Wishram, Washington yard. Naturally I did not warn him of the danger! We railfan this area very frequently and have never run across a CitiRail locomotive. The date is May 30th ,2014. Unfortunately for me He is not as pretty as the original 'Barb Wire'!

Date: 08/27/14 08:35
Re: Barbed wire and Rail fanning
Author: fbe

That rusty old wire is how we get internet in some remote western locations.

Nice photo.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 08/27/14 09:16
Author: wa4umr

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That rusty old wire is how we get internet in some
> remote western locations.
>
>
That's funny. Hadn't heard that for awhile. After 31 years with the fone phactory I had heard some classics, that being similar to one of them. We though some of our customers got dialtone in a "Care Package." One of the most common one we used, whether the pair of wires was good or not, "If it touches, it talks." (If you had continuity on the wires you could use them. Not always true... grounds, unbalanced, noisy, etc...) Every industry has it's clowns. I was one.

John

Date: 08/27/14 10:02
Author: AmtrakJulie

Just make sure everyone is current on their tetanus, throw some antibiotic ointment and bandaging stuff in your grip, and you're good to go. Not a big deal :).

AJ

PS Watch out for rattlers, too...

Date: 08/27/14 10:03
Author: skstone

Wire? Wow you are in the modern world.
We still use 2 tin cans and string.

Date: 08/27/14 10:31
Author: fbe

The squirrels and porcupines eat the string then birds strip it to make nests. No we need bob wahr to keep it all working especially is severe weather.

skstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wire? Wow you are in the modern world.
> We still use 2 tin cans and string.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 08/27/14 14:19
Author: truxtrax

If he's on the south side of the tunnel, some care should be taken
to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. I've come very close to stepping
on a rattler a couple of times. Probably more likely in this warm weather.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds