Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Who still runs GP35's as built nowadays anymore?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/28/14 18:18
Who still runs GP35's as built nowadays anymore?
Author: ns2557

Another day in Montana yesterday netted this shot of 2 MRL GP35's, the 404 and 405 at the Bear Canyon Rd Exit off of I90, just east of Bozeman Mt. Train is wb. I know that BNSF still has a few, but are they in as built condition anymore? I would think that these MRL units rank among the few. I really am looking forward to my next run to Montana,what a place. Thanks for looking. Ben

Date: 08/28/14 18:37
Re: Who still runs GP35's as built nowadays anymore?
Author: Evan_Werkema

I guess it depends on how rigorous you are in your definition of "as built." A lot that was wrong with the GP35 was electrical, and the fixes didn't necessarily manifest themselves externally. Is a GP35 that looks like a GP35 but has D77 traction motors still a GP35? How about a revised electrical cabinet? How about 645 power assemblies? How about one painted for a railroad that didn't exist in the early 60's and is missing its Mars light? That's definitely not "as-built." ;^)

Date: 08/28/14 18:38
Author: toledopatch

Michigan's Great Lakes Central still has some ex-Ann Arbor GP35s, and except for paint and maybe wiring I don't think they've been significantly modified -- they still have the Alco trucks they were built on.

I don't know what's under the hood, but the bulk of the Housatonic RR fleet in Conn./Mass. also is GP35s.

Another candidate, unless they got rid of theirs when the Brookvilles arrived, is Metro-North, which got six GP35s in the 1990s that I think were re-wired by Conrail at Altoona but otherwise as-built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 18:41 by toledopatch.

Date: 08/28/14 18:46
Author: ns2557

Evan, Knew about the troubles with the electricals, but I guess what I was getting at was more or less External Appearances. I know these 2 were bothe ex DRGW, and I don't recall whether or not the had any mods done to them. But just seeing these around anymore in the land of look a like units is what really amazes me. Do these still have their D57 Motors, and 567D3 power plant? Thanks for the insight. Ben

Date: 08/28/14 19:02
Author: funnelfan

Those MRL GP35's were extensively rebuilt. Basically you junk the entire electrical system and use parts from GP38-2's

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/28/14 19:16
Author: MitchGDRMCo

The DRGW lower headlight/mars light has been removed so not as built.

Date: 08/28/14 19:22
Author: cctgm

WATCO Shortlines and switching operations under the WAMX If Ex WP GP35's In Washington Idaho and Kansas and Oklahoma, 2 in San Diego and one in the Mira Loma CA area and then they have some Ex Conrail GP35's in Idaho and on some other lines, not sure if the Ann Arbor had any GP35 units but they may have some there and they are as built almost none have been rebuilt and they have a couple of GP35 units converted to road slugs. All now painted in WAMX black and yellow

Date: 08/28/14 19:53
Author: fredstoltz

The Dakota, Missouri Valley & Western RR may still have some in service. I think they were Ex SP & Ex C&NW.

Fred

Date: 08/28/14 19:58
Author: PHall

The WP GP35's were rebuilt with new electrical systems in 1980.
Probably the reason why they still run today!

Date: 08/28/14 20:01
Author: NYSWSD70M

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Evan, Knew about the troubles with the
> electricals, but I guess what I was getting at was
> more or less External Appearances. I know these 2
> were bothe ex DRGW, and I don't recall whether or
> not the had any mods done to them. But just seeing
> these around anymore in the land of look a like
> units is what really amazes me. Do these still
> have their D57 Motors, and 567D3 power plant?
> Thanks for the insight. Ben

GP35's had D67 motors as built. Even GP9's got D77's on a regular basis. This didn't mean they were upgraded.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/28/14 20:12
Author: LJohnson

Two EX Conrail GP 35 at Fillmore and Western

Posted from Android

Date: 08/28/14 20:16
Author: 3rdswitch

Last visit to Willamette Valley in OR they had a couple.
JB

Date: 08/29/14 03:58
Author: speederman01

Wheeling and Lake Erie has a few. Dave

Date: 08/29/14 07:05
Author: oklachaser

Great photo Ben.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 08/29/14 07:11
Author: march_hare

I think Lycoming Valley has some, painted faux-Reading. Again, all the aluminum wiring removed, but the shell still looks pretty much like original.

Date: 08/29/14 07:21
Author: irhoghead

Omnitrax still runs some. Two of them are the Kettle Falls International Railway's #2500 and #4508 in northeast Washington state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/14 20:55 by irhoghead.

Date: 08/29/14 08:21
Author: LV95032

A different model traction motor does not count as modified. I know a certain F unit that has a D47, D57, D67 and D77 under it. They all fit without any other mods needed.

RWJ

> GP35's had D67 motors as built. Even GP9's got
> D77's on a regular basis. This didn't mean they
> were upgraded.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 08/29/14 12:43
Author: DNRY122

I suspect that some of the surviving units are like the mythical "George Washington's Axe"--was originally owned by the first US President, but has had 2 new heads and 5 new handles since then. There's an old aviation yarn about the aircraft enthusiast who's all stoked about finding a genuine Douglas DC-3 at an airport out in the boonies. The owner/pilot/chief mechanic, sees him and says, "Hate to spoil your fun, but every part of that plane has been replaced, in some cases, as many as 5 times. The only original part is the shadow, and it's getting thin in spots. Lucky for us, we have a supplier with a stock of spare DC-3 shadows and we have one on order."

Date: 08/29/14 17:24
Author: fbe

"Do these still have their D57 Motors, and 567D3 power plant?"

Yes, the GP35s still have 567 prime movers in them. All traction motors are D77 except for the ACe units. This simplifies repair and parts storage.

The electrical cabinets have upgrade some with fiber optic lines replacing wires.

Some may disparage the electrical upgrades but that is the reason these units are still operating in this carbody. The 401 and 402 came from the Grand Trunk with simplified electrical cabinets and had the highest availability of any locomotives on the MRL.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 08/29/14 17:44
Author: NYSWSD70M

LV95032 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A different model traction motor does not count as
> modified. I know a certain F unit that has a D47,
> D57, D67 and D77 under it. They all fit without
> any other mods needed.
>
> RWJ
>
>
> > GP35's had D67 motors as built. Even GP9's got
> > D77's on a regular basis. This didn't mean
> they
> > were upgraded.
> >
> > Posted from Android

That was my point.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds