Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Day's end on the GSR

Date: 08/29/14 12:35
Day's end on the GSR
Author: santafe199

I was in my first few months back home in Kansas after spending the bulk of a 32 year RR career up in the Big Sky country of Montana. The very next day I would receive the phone call from my RR Ret. Board liaison in Billings that confirmed my brand new “retired” status. It felt good to be home.

I had recently gotten back into full railfan photography after a hiatus nearly 2 decades long. Being back in my home state after 23 years everything was ‘new’ to me, and needed to be explored. Here’s one of those accidental shots that railfans get from time to time. I was out looking over the old Rock Island mainline, still known as the Golden State Route. I was loosely on my way home, keeping an eye on a potential sunset. I though to myself: “Boy, do I need a train”. I did the old routine of stopping & listening. I got lucky, hearing a distant eastbound horn. I doubled back a bit and bagged a few shots along the road connecting the old Rock Island RR town of McFarland with KS hwy 99 just north of Alma.

I was pleased with the results. But a little voice in the back of my mind was asking: What would these shots look like with Maroon CRI&P power at the point? Or even the later Blue & White? We’ll never know…

1. & 2. UP 4379 is the lone motor at the point of a string autoracks. The train is eastbound between Alma & McFarland, KS along ‘McFarland Rd’. The date is October 26, 2010.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 08/29/14 12:37
Re: Day's end on the GSR
Author: robj

Very pleased indeed, great catch.

bob Jordan

Date: 08/29/14 12:39
Author: SOB

Nicely done Lance, nicely done. Keep up the good work and welcome back home!

SOB

Date: 08/29/14 13:53
Author: mg8711

There's some sort of magic about an autumn sunset, autumn is usually thought of as a dying time but in reality it's the birth of a bright snowy winter. Great shots.
Lucas

Date: 08/29/14 13:58
Author: Cajon92

Nice shots.

~Ryan

Date: 08/29/14 17:34
Author: SP8595

Both are Beautiful shots but that first one is "over the top":}

Date: 08/30/14 05:45
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice work Lance. I congratulate you upon your retirement. Have a great retirement. Been 5 years for me and I love it.
John M Breitigsn

Date: 08/30/14 06:22
Author: oklachaser

Nice! Congratulations on IOTD.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 08/30/14 06:31
Author: nancyg

Nice photo. I have found that being retired is a lot more hectic than working.

nancyg

Date: 08/30/14 06:53
Author: santafe199

nancyg Wrote:
> ...I have found that being retired is a lot more hectic than working.

Ain't that the truth! I never knew how short a day was until I had so much free time. ;^)

Lance

Date: 08/30/14 12:52
Author: Rathole

I agree with Ronda - congrats! Nice work!

oklachaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice! Congratulations on IOTD.
>
> Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds