Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Brief Morning of Railfanning in downtown LA

Date: 08/31/14 21:13
A Brief Morning of Railfanning in downtown LA
Author: erielackawanna

Spent an hour or two out this ayem in the downtown LA area and caught both the Atlanta and the building of the Seattle at LATC... also got a shot of the skyline with a sadly tagged Genset.

First shot is the ZLCAI with the switch crew still on board, taken from the Pacific Electric Bridge at Soto.

Second shot is the same train passing the San Gabriel Mission, birthplace of Los Angeles.

Third image is of the YLZ14 7am Ramp Job building the day's Lathrop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 16:19 by erielackawanna.

Date: 08/31/14 21:14
Re: A Brief Morning of Railfanning in downtown LA

Here's the LOW10 power and the LA skyline.

Date: 08/31/14 21:55
Author: cewherry

Ah, the locations of my youth. In the first shot off to the
far right can be seen the waters of the lake at Lincoln Park. Do electric boats still ply the waters there?
Also, below you on the south bridge abutment for many years you could still see the fading remains of a
painted sign advertising the delights of a trip to famed Mt. Lowe. I always enjoyed viewing that
relic as I passed there. I seem to recall that traces of the paint were still there as late as just few years ago,
all the more remarkable since PE abandoned the trackage beyond Altadena in late 1937. A lasting tribute to
the sign painters art indeed!

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 21:56 by cewherry.

Date: 08/31/14 22:00

I don't think there are electric boats, but I haven't looked very closely. Here's what is left of the sign today (not much).

Date: 09/01/14 09:45
Author: cewherry

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think there are electric boats, but I
> haven't looked very closely. Here's what is left
> of the sign today (not much).

Ouch! Almost every time I passed under that bridge in daylight hours the thought occurred to me
that I should take a picture of the mural. But alas I did not. My loss. Thanks for posting these Charles; now I guess
I don't have to make a detour on my way to Philippe's to satisfy my curiosity.

Charlie

Date: 09/01/14 11:28
Author: CR3

I too remember that PE sign everytime I was on a train or engine passing that point. For a long time it seemed that the grafetti people left it alone but it looks like the dirt bags amoung them have lost their appreciation for History. Thanks for posting.

Ray

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds