Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > RBBB Circus Train & Erie Heritage

Date: 09/01/14 12:15
RBBB Circus Train & Erie Heritage
Author: CP_M260

On 8/20 I found out that NS' Erie Heritage Unit, NS 1068, was just outside of Kansas City on the point of train U CXYELU0 24T, an empty oil train from Cicero IL to Eland, ND. The train tied down at Maxwell Jct (Orrick, MO), where it sat for just over a week, before returning to Galesburg to head North to the Bakken Oil fields.

I took advantage of the odd routing of the this particular train and got some 'static' photos of it about 6 hours after it had arrived and tied down.

1. A side view of the heritage unit across the fertile soybean field next to the railroad
2. A 'nose' view of the train, with one of the CB&Q searchlight signals in frame
3. A better view of the layout of West Maxwell

Date: 09/01/14 12:23
Re: RBBB Circus Train & Erie Heritage

Exactly one week later, the Ringling Brothers/Barnum & Bailey 'Red Unit' circus train made a visit to Kansas City on its way from McNeil, TX to Moline, IL. I was told the train would take the Brookfield Subdivision to Galesburg, which would put the circus train right next to the Erie Heritage unit at Maxwell. When I finalized my plans to catch the circus train, I knew a few photos with the Erie unit couldn't be passed up.

4. Eastbound train H KCKGAL1 20A knocks down the green signal at WSS Maxwell, as it begins its ascent up 'Richmond Hill' towards Brookfield - 8/20
5. The RBBB Circus Train, operating as J MNLMLN1 25A rolls under the UP flyover at Santa Fe Jct in Kansas City, MO as it starts its journey in the 'Show Me State' - 8/27
6. About a mile to the N/NE, the circus train took part in a 3 train meet at the Old Union Depot Interlocker with a Scherer coal train an UP light power

Date: 09/01/14 12:26

7. Rolling through the 'Gooseneck' on the approach to the Hannibal Bridge over the Missouri River
8. Meeting another coal load coming out of Murray Yard
9. Crossing the old MO HWY 210 at Maxwell Jct

Date: 09/01/14 12:28

10. The 2nd unit does its best ALCO impression as it passes the Erie unit at West Maxwell
11. & 12. Some side views of the Erie unit and circus equipment

Date: 09/01/14 12:36

After catching the train at Maxwell, I was able to get the train once more at the edge of the CB&Q-formed rock cut, just West of Richmond before heading back home for the day.

13. Rolling up the grade toward Richmond, the circus train passes through the East end of the large rock cut at the MO HWY 10 overpass
14. Zoomed in at 200mm, the signals at Thieoff are visible in the background as the circus train prepares to meet another train on its journey East

Thanks for looking,
-Dalton

Date: 09/01/14 14:12
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 09/01/14 22:09
Author: XUP4014

Nice shots !

Thanks for posting them
Dave

Date: 09/02/14 06:19
Author: Beaver57

Great photos. Anyone know which cars the animals ride in the circus train? I'm wondering what part of the train they put them in, up front, middle or rear of the train?

The circus is in Spokane later this week, but sadly it's the smaller version and we won't see the train up here.

Date: 09/02/14 06:51
Author: JoCoLB

I really like Photo 11. You don't get the opportunity for such a rare side-view photo every day. Thanks for making the effort for TO members and others to enjoy. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Date: 09/02/14 10:16
Author: rbx551985

Beaver57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos. Anyone know which cars the animals
> ride in the circus train? I'm wondering what part
> of the train they put them in, up front, middle or
> rear of the train?

'FIRST FOUR CARS, right behind the engines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds