Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A 17000 h.p switcher and a Darwin candidate.

Date: 09/01/14 12:21
A 17000 h.p switcher and a Darwin candidate.
Author: tx_trainman54

Pic-1 Yes, this KCS ES44AC is backing up slowly. This was almost a slow speed collision due to overgrown foilage and the woman,s inattention while starting over this crossing.

Pic-2 Shows what looks like a westbound leaving Dublin Texas long hood forward! In reality it is Fort Worth & Western using this unit train road set as a 17000 switcher!! The continuation of back and fourth movements over the towns two mn crossings had motorists pretty upset.

Pic-3 Is actually the head end of the consist. Due to all four units pointed in one direction and no turning facilities,I,m sure the engineer had fun switching with a consist this big and running from the TRAILING unit.

Date: 09/01/14 19:16
Re: A 17000 h.p switcher and a Darwin candidate.
Author: railstiesballast

Wouldn't there be someone on the leading end of the move, or on the ground?
Maybe there was, just not visible in the image.

Date: 09/01/14 19:43
Author: PHall

In picture 1, I don't even see a crossbuck. Is this really a public railroad crossing?

Date: 09/01/14 20:36
Author: trkspd

You sure the engineer was running from the trailing locomotive in the consist? The fact that the mirror and sun shade are out on the leading motor leads me to believe that that was not the case. Besides that its very easy swapping ends on locomotive consists, just a few simple steps in the cab and then carrying your grip and soda with you to the other cab.

If he was running from the trailing unit it would be a shove movement...

The only restriction for running long hood forward is 45 mph for cowl locomotives and 12 units maximum in consists. The locomotive not having ditch lights on the long hood does limit movement over public grade crossings to 25 mph head end I believe. Don't forget to isolate your unnecessary locomotives for epa/tpa/dynamic braking. (My railroad rules)

Now that I have internet on my phone again, I can finish typing.

Every time I had to shove light power with a MU consist, as a conductor saving time not swapping ends, I would just be in the leading locomotive of the movement blowing the horn and bell giving car counts.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 20:52 by trkspd.

Date: 09/02/14 10:59
Author: NYC6001

Heartfelt thanks to the engine house that built these units back to back.

Date: 09/02/14 11:23
Author: portlander

trkspd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You sure the engineer was running from the
> trailing locomotive in the consist? The fact that
> the mirror and sun shade are out on the leading
> motor leads me to believe that that was not the
> case.

I agree, looks to be in the lead unit.

Date: 09/02/14 14:41
Author: tx_trainman54

In answer to all your questions, This operation WAS being run from KCS 4821. A few seconds after I took the second pic, the engineer opened the side window to wave and had a "not to happy" face on to be running like that. As stated in the above text, this WAS a shove movementbut it doesnt take 30+ minutes to shove a cut of cars into the yard and certainly not making reverse movements several times. Yes, there is crossing bucks at the crossing....just out of site due to the zoomed shot.

Date: 09/03/14 16:59
Author: Hookdragkick

Keep 'em all online; KICK! Independent only, STOP, out!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds