Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Interesting Transcon train

Date: 09/01/14 16:06
Interesting Transcon train
Author: tp117

A friend of mine had to attend a conference in the west and was able to spend parts of three days on the Transcon in AZ east of where the Phoenix line joins. Most of the trains were the usual, stacks, trailers, or both mixed, autoracks or merchandise. But one EB stood out. This train he estimated to be 7500-8000 feet. It started with stacks, then reefer CARS, then multilevels, then trailers on the end. Each 'part' was about 1/4 of the train. Would anyone know the symbol, frequency, origin and destination of this train? I'd like to have seen it; didn't know that many reefers were moving now on BNSF, and on intermodal trains.

Date: 09/02/14 00:19
Re: Interesting Transcon train
Author: mapboy

That's my favorite, the QRICWSP6. It originates Mo-Fr in Richmond, thru Needles at 8-9 p.m. when it's on time, but the last two times that I saw it, it was 19 hours late. My experience has been that the autos are always on the rear, makes it easier to drop and go at Clovis. The ones I've seen are 3-4 units, none to 25 domestic double stacks, 0-10 reefers picked up in BAK, maybe FRS; 30-60 trailers picked up at SIF, maybe FRS, too; 0-25 rear autos from RIC dropped at CLO, total 75-80 cars. There is no westbound counterpart.

There's a solid reefer train, the UCNJLPC9 and ULPCCNJ9, runs Conejo (near Fresno) to/from Logistics Park, IL (LPC) and takes 96 hours= 4 days. It just started June 4. It leaves both ends on Wednesdays at 9 PM, so it's scheduled to arrive at the other end at 9 PM Sundays. It's started out with 30 cars, with the hope that it will go to 50-car trains twice a week. It's operated for McKay TransCold Express. I saw it in July westbound at Kingman with 30 cars and 8 hours ahead of schedule. An eastbound in mid-August was 10 hours late, a westbound was 18 hours early.

mapboy

Date: 09/02/14 07:03
Author: tp117

Thanks mapboy. I had it wrong, note were in the car. The autos were on the rear. Please, what place is SIF? Thanks for the info on the new reefer train. I did not know BNSF had started one. interesting.

Date: 09/02/14 08:20
Author: goneon66

mapboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's my favorite, the QRICWSP6. It originates
> Mo-Fr in Richmond, thru Needles at 8-9 p.m. when
> it's on time, but the last two times that I saw
> it, it was 19 hours late. My experience has been
> that the autos are always on the rear, makes it
> easier to drop and go at Clovis. The ones I've
> seen are 3-4 units, none to 25 domestic double
> stacks, 0-10 reefers picked up in BAK, maybe FRS;
> 30-60 trailers picked up at SIF, maybe FRS, too;
> 0-25 rear autos from RIC dropped at CLO, total
> 75-80 cars. There is no westbound counterpart.
>
> There's a solid reefer train, the UCNJLPC9 and
> ULPCCNJ9, runs Conejo (near Fresno) to/from
> Logistics Park, IL (LPC) and takes 96 hours= 4
> days. It just started June 4. It leaves both ends
> on Wednesdays at 9 PM, so it's scheduled to arrive
> at the other end at 9 PM Sundays. It's started out
> with 30 cars, with the hope that it will go to
> 50-car trains twice a week. It's operated for
> McKay TransCold Express. I saw it in July
> westbound at Kingman with 30 cars and 8 hours
> ahead of schedule. An eastbound in mid-August was
> 10 hours late, a westbound was 18 hours early.
>
> mapboy

thanks for the info on both trains. I sometimes see the q-ricwsp out of kingman between approx. 0800-1000 hrs. neat looking train with the refers, intermodal, and auto racks.

I have seen the e/b solid refers either on thurs at approx. 1700 hrs or few times on Friday at approx. 0800 hrs. I have caught the w/b refers once in the late afternoon (sat?). been approx. 32 cars and 2 motors up front on both trains from what I have seen.......

Date: 09/02/14 17:15
Author: cabanillas

tp117 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks mapboy. I had it wrong, note were in the
> car. The autos were on the rear. Please, what
> place is SIF? Thanks for the info on the new
> reefer train. I did not know BNSF had started one.
> interesting.

I think SIF = Stockton

Date: 09/02/14 17:17
Author: mapboy

Note on the U and Q trains, anytime they want to, the BNSF can treat them like a Z9/Z8 and make up a lot of time. SIF= Stockton Intermodal Facility, at CP Mariposa east of Stockton.

mapboy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds