Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yellow Train and Yellow Flowers

Date: 09/09/14 22:12
Yellow Train and Yellow Flowers
Author: Agent

...but no yellow sun.

Following up on this thread from this morning: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3517207, I caught a Union Pacific business special heading north on the Canadian Pacific owned and operated Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern (ex-IC&E, ex-IMRL, ex-CP, ex-Soo, née-Milwaukee Road) around Ottumwa, Iowa. The word that I heard for the reason for this trip was that UP is looking to run sand trains on this line.

First clip takes place at a crossing west of Ottumwa; one mile west of the yard depot as indicated by the sign at the end of the clip. There are lots of yellow wildflowers in bloom across the countryside right now. I tried to fit in a few of them in the bottom-left corner at the beginning.

I heard over the radio they would be stopping in the yard for crew change as all trains do, so knowing how long that always takes, I thought I'd have great load of time to get ahead to the next spot. Well, turns out Canadian Pacific already had an outbound crew ready to go which caught me by surprise.

Did I mention this is the first time I've caught an executive train?

Thus I had just enough time to set up the tripod, but not enough to lock the camera to the tripod. Apologies for the shaking. Here the special crosses the bridge over the Des Moines River from the west side (track goes west-east at this point) to Turkey Island.

Then to see if I could, I drove to just north of Ottumwa to see could beat the train there, and managed to get there just in time. Didn't even have time to set-up the tripod this time and I had to freehand it so apologies for any shaking again. Happened to have a whole field of yellow flowers at this site (don't know what kind of flowers they are beyond that they're yellow).

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/10/14 07:50
Re: Yellow Train and Yellow Flowers
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for posting thsi. you're forgiven, at least by me, for the tripod
problems.

Interesting to me that the consist includes the "Fox River" which is one of
the two ex-CNW cars the UP kept. I believe the other was the diner, "Lake"
something. However, I can be corrected on this. The outcome of this trip
will be interesting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/10/14 08:51
Author: UPTRAIN

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting to me that the consist includes the
> "Fox River" which is one of
> the two ex-CNW cars the UP kept. I believe the
> other was the diner, "Lake"
> something...

The rear TWO cars are Ex-CNW. Fox River, along with sleepers Lake Forest and Lake Bluff are all former CNW (at least in their previous incarnation before UP--orginally the Fox River was a CN car and the sleepers were KCS).

http://utahrails.net/pass/heritage-fleet-2.php#upp412

Pump

Date: 09/10/14 09:01

I also have some pictures of the consist.

1) SD70AH UP 8862 and power car UPP 207. This is the first time I've seen an SD70AH.

2) UPP 314 Columbia River.

3) UPP 1610 Portola.

Date: 09/10/14 09:07

4) UPP 412 Lake Forest.

5) UPP 420 Fox River.

Date: 09/12/14 10:46
Author: bankshotone

Very nice! I saw this train pass my house yesterday in Boone Iowa

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds