Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Depot Friday" on the KP...

Date: 09/19/14 17:36
"Depot Friday" on the KP...
Author: aussiehinz

Three surviving Kansas Pacific (UP) depots observed during a recent ramble from Kansas City to Denver and back.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. Strasburg CO... 8-14-14

2. Salina KS... 8-14-14

3. Manhattan KS... 8-14-14

Date: 09/19/14 18:07
Re: "Depot Friday" on the KP...
Author: GeneL

Maybe this question belongs in the Nostalgia/History but with the depot pictures here I'll just ask here. Does anyone know what UP passenger trains used to run on the KP line? Wasn't there once a train called City of St Louis which used the KP to get to Denver? Did a train called the Portland Rose run on this line? Any others? TIA for any info!

Date: 09/19/14 18:36
Author: aussiehinz

Yes and yes! Both trains you referenced we're KP trains. The City of St Louis used Wabash between it's namesake & Kansas City, & Wabash contributed to the equipment pool for the train. There were local & mail trains that traversed the KP, too, such as the City of Salina, that linked the on line towns in the eastern half of KS with KC.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/19/14 19:06
Author: NiceHandTick

I remember riding that city of St Louis train from Lawrence KS and a NW train from Union Depot KC to Centralia MO. I got off there and caught a train that went from Centralia MO to Columbia MO, to the small Union Depot in Jefferson City. I think this was 1968, November. I watched the Kansas Missouri football game and I remember watching it in a t-shirt. It was 70 degrees that day in middle of November.

Date: 09/19/14 20:24
Author: nikon1

There was the City of St Louis, the Portland Rose, the City of Kansas City and a lowly mail train.
Charlie
MP 52.7 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds