Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Intermodal platform / container strength limits

Date: 09/19/14 22:04
Intermodal platform / container strength limits
Author: coach

Every time I see an intermodal train, I think about all the lost "tonnage" capacity the railroads have given up. It only adds to congestion, because the tonnage has to move somehow, either in less cars with more payload, or more cars with less payload. With other RR cars pushing 143 tons, with about 100 tons of that being revenue freight, it's a win-win: more money for the RR, and more freight hauled for the customer.

Now, intermodal: highway limits are 40 tons per big rig. The tractors usually weigh about 10-15 tons. That leaves 25-30 tons. Given the lightweight "spine" design of most intermodal trailers, figure 5 tons. That leaves, at best, 25 net tons of freight. Double stack those containers, and you've only got 50 tons of revenue freight occupying the same space as a 100 net-ton bulk / coal / grain / boxcar.

So, if Congress allowed big rigs to go up to 50 tons, now we're talking 70 net tons of freight on a double stack car, but that's still way below a standard car.

So what are the limits of intermodal cars and containers--not the legal limit, but the max weight limit as built?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 22:06 by coach.

Date: 09/20/14 03:53
Re: Intermodal platform / container strength limits
Author: Ray_Murphy

The actual weight restrictions are imposed state-by-state. I think what a bill in the US legislature can do is permit states to go to a higher limit, which some currently allow with special permits. At least half of the US states, however, will not permit higher weights than 80,000 lbs, most likely having to do with the state of their roads and bridges.

Ray

Date: 09/20/14 16:51
Author: coach

Ray, thank you.

What I mean is: for these COFC stack cars, what is the breaking point? As built, right now, can they handle 100 NET tons of weight? Can we potentially double stack well cars up to 143 tons of gross weight?

Date: 09/21/14 18:38
Author: matts15487

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ray, thank you.
>
> What I mean is: for these COFC stack cars, what
> is the breaking point? As built, right now, can
> they handle 100 NET tons of weight? Can we
> potentially double stack well cars up to 143 tons
> of gross weight?

LPC does a lot of grain, they'll load 2 20's at 50k each + a topper. The 40' standards and high cubes are loaded to 60k+, i don't think you want to load those boxes/cars any more than that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds