Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Spartan Cabs Across Kansas

Date: 09/20/14 15:12
Spartan Cabs Across Kansas
Author: nwkrailfan

In a refreshing past three days, I have shot a total of 1 modern GE locomotives, 8 different spartan cab EMD's and 1 wide nose EMD. The units were shot in a variety of different locales from the northwest corner of Kansas to the southeast and in a wide variety of paint schemes as well.

1) Thursday started with the UP Hays local in its namesake town of Hays, a trio of spartan cab EMD's are on the lead today with a SD40N-SD60-GP40-2 combo. The train will head west to Ellis to drop cars for Oakley and then return eastbound to Salina.
2) Down in Salina now, the Kyle has a trio of power at the servicing facility. A crew will come on duty out of Concordia at 2300 to grab the power and take a train back up north.
3) Thursday ended with a duo of ex. BN GP39's parked at North Newton, Kansas DOL waiting to get into the BNSF yard at Newton.

More to come...

Date: 09/20/14 15:14
Re: Spartan Cabs Across Kansas

4) I started Friday morning off in Pittsburg, Kansas with the Watco Pittsburg State locomotive parked on the northeast side of town.
5) Before leaving Pittsburg I ran across this tied down South Kansas & Oklahoma train waiting for a slot to deliver its train to KCS.
6) The final Watco owned locomotives I would shoot on my trip were at McPherson, Kansas as the sun was setting for the day. Here, two more ex. BN GP39's rest on the old Santa Fe track in town.

Date: 09/20/14 15:17

7) Back up in Uncle Pete's territory now, there were quite a few old EMD's gathered around in Salina. On the right is the two eastward facing locomotives from the Hays local, while over on the right a leased GP38-2 rests next to the engine house.
8) Even the old HLCX paint scheme got in on the action as the HLCX 3814 rolls downhill lite power at Riga, Kansas. The crew will pick up cars left by the Hays local in Ellis.
9) With the local ready to head back west UP 553 is now leading, if all goes well the crew will be back in Oakley by dinner time.

Thanks for looking!
nwkrailfan

Date: 09/20/14 18:24
Author: santafe199

I've been to McPherson scads of times both as a Santa Fe employee & as a railfan. I never knew Mac could be as photogenic as your shot #6 indicates. Former 80s KS Gang charter member Mike Provine [now deceased] would be very proud of your work. The house he lived in was just a few blocks north of your vantage point. Well done, Young Master Luke...

Posted from Android

Date: 09/20/14 20:03
Author: oklachaser

All are great photos; #6 is awesome. The setting sun really sets the mood.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds