Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Passenger Special up the Coast

Date: 10/09/14 22:11
UP Passenger Special up the Coast
Author: z-trains

Last week my father and I made the trek out to the Santa Barbara area in order to shoot UP 8874 North, a passenger repo train coming from Houston, Texas, and heading to Oakland, California. After a lengthy wait for the northbound special to arrive from Los Angeles, the train was first caught entering the south end of Seacliff siding, where it would wait for UP 9007 South, a PTC test train which was operating between Santa Barbara and Oxnard on that day. Dodging traffic in Santa Barbara, we passed both a southbound UP Autorack train and Amtrak 1790 before arriving at Gaviota. Around half an hour later, the 8874 North was spotted around 10 miles to the south at Capitan, and I managed to film it from my position on a bluff just west of the trestle at Gaviota. Around 10 minutes after it disappeared around the corner at Capitan, the special came out of the trees at Gaviota, and gave a great horn salute as it passed by me. A few minutes later at Sudden, the 8874 had stopped for a meet with Amtrak #11, and after the manual switches were thrown at both ends of the siding, the special rolled off into the subset, concluding a great day of filming on the amazing Santa Barbara Subdivision. The video in full is on my YouTube account, Railfanjunction.

Cheers,

Zach
www.z-trains.com
Railfanjunction on YouTube

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/10/14 02:19
Re: UP Passenger Special up the Coast
Author: Fizzboy7

Very enjoyable! Glad you made it out to the Coast for some action.

Date: 10/10/14 02:28
Author: jst3751

Very nice.

Date: 10/10/14 05:47
Author: ns1000

NICE video!!!

Date: 10/10/14 07:38
Author: UPTRAIN

Man, that is a cool video. The glinty distant Amtrak meet is pretty cool. It's one of those serendipitous sights that we as railfans commonly experience, but can't really capture with a lens. Those moments when you catch a glimpse of something and go "man, that's cool", but you don't have an eyepiece to your face. You captured that here.

Pump

Date: 10/10/14 07:42
Author: TopDog

This video is great, film camp has defentely paid off!

Date: 10/10/14 08:39
Author: atsf121

Awesome video there Zach. Really liked the glint meet and the sounds of the ocean waves as the train went past. Good thing my wife didn't see that, she loves the beach and would probably tell me to start packing the car now so we could go - 12hour drive no less. Maybe we'll get back to the Santa Barbara area this Christmas, we were there in February and loved it, as always.

Nathan

Date: 10/10/14 09:02
Author: Exespee

Beautiful. That's why SP named it the Coast Division.

Date: 10/11/14 16:37
Author: wabash2800

What is a "repo" train?

Date: 10/11/14 20:39

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is a "repo" train?

Short for repossession train. Yank a train out of one spot and transfer it elsewhere where it's supposed to be.

Date: 10/11/14 21:01
Author: UP951West

Most enjoyable ! Now I can go to bed and have sweet dreams of the special rolling by with the horn salute along the beautiful Pacific coast .

Date: 10/11/14 21:15
Author: jridge

How about "reposition"....

Date: 10/12/14 00:16

How about I've been watching divorce court too much? lol

Date: 10/12/14 01:39
Author: wabash2800

Meaning "Deadhead" it to another location?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds