Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Glenns Ferry, Idaho - UP Stored Cars - Nampa Sub

Date: 10/20/14 15:52
Glenns Ferry, Idaho - UP Stored Cars - Nampa Sub
Author: philhoov

There was a TO thread 2-3 weeks ago about a line of old boxcars being moved from Glenns Ferry, Idaho to Roseville.
Does anyone know the fate of the cars that went to Roseville?
While camped @ Three Island State Park and chasing trains last week, I discovered another long line of old box cars in a siding @ the west end of Glenns Ferry.
That means there were two lines of old box cars previously stored in Glenns Ferry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also noticed a long line of special load flat cars that are uncommon to the Nampa sub.
Are these windmill tower cars?
Does anyone know what the future holds for these two lines of cars?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 16:06 by philhoov.

Date: 10/20/14 15:53
Re: Glenns Ferry, Idaho - UP Stored Cars - Nampa Sub

Here are some of the old box cars, many of which are fallen flag/merger rolling stock.
Please forgive the tilted shots ~ the siding is actually level; not a steep slope.
These were grab shots from inside my Yukon, taken from a narrow frontage road with an aggressive dog (guarding a herd of goats) chasing me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 15:57 by philhoov.

Date: 10/20/14 15:55

Here's more . . .

Date: 10/20/14 15:55

Last one!

Date: 10/20/14 16:11
Author: cajon

Yes the flats are for windmill towers.
Dennis

Date: 10/20/14 16:20

Interesting that those are windmill tower flats.
Never seen any windmill loads on the Nampa sub.
But, given the number of windmills around SE Idaho, I guess that's how they got here.
Wonder if those cars brought in more windmills?

Date: 10/20/14 16:34
Author: rrpreservation

The insulated boxes appear to be active! Apparently, they weren't needed hence they were in storage.

Date: 10/20/14 18:56
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/20/14 19:29
Author: BAB

A year ago they had about 180 out of 300 reefers vandalized that were stored in Idaho. They took batterys, copper, and the condenser coils among other things.

Date: 10/20/14 19:48
Author: upkpfan

Yes, those flatcars are for hauling the tower sections as they lay in the cradles. upkpfan

Date: 10/21/14 09:31
Author: cpn456

Last summer, think it was back in June, I saw a windmill train on the UP going over the Blue Mountains.

Interesting place, those storage tracks at Glenns Ferry. I remember when I was real young, always seeing lines of stored, bad order cars there. Back then, UP's major freight car back shop was in Pocatello, so Glenns Ferry seems an appropriate place to hold bad orders waiting attention, or scrap.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2262 seconds