Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Afton Canyon Video #2

Date: 10/20/14 16:10
Afton Canyon Video #2
Author: syscom3

Here is an early morning west bound manifest. I took this at the "low hill". It was while I was here that I noticed this was on a spur going up to higher hill that looked to be a better looking prospect for the video and still photography.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/20/14 18:09
Re: Afton Canyon Video #2
Author: glibby

Thanks very much. Great video. I'm an L.A. area railfan. I frequently go to Barstow, but haven't been to Afton Canyon. Will a regular sedan be sufficient, or do I need a four wheel drive vehicle? Would welcome any info you can provide.

Jerry

Date: 10/20/14 22:27
Author: 567Chant

HiDef on a crystalline day. Life is good!
...Lorenzo

Date: 10/21/14 15:26
Author: mapboy

glibby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks very much. Great video. I'm an L.A. area
> railfan. I frequently go to Barstow, but haven't
> been to Afton Canyon. Will a regular sedan be
> sufficient, or do I need a four wheel drive
> vehicle? Would welcome any info you can provide.
>
> Jerry

You can make it to the Afton Canyon campground in a passenger car, there could be rough spots here and there to swerve around. Right after the campground, the road crosses the Mojave River (the UP with a scenic truss bridge), often doable in passenger cars depending on the time of year http://goo.gl/maps/oisKV Inspect before crossing. I decided to hike from there, 1 mile to the 2nd river xing (another UP truss bridge), which was deeper water than the 1st xing when I was there several winters ago. At the 2nd xing, you're at the sight of the daylighted tunnel #1. The colorful rocks are further down the canyon.

mapboy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds