Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again five . . .

Date: 10/21/14 18:26
on the road again five . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . . after overnighting in Vicksburg, MS day five began with hopes for some KCS action in the morning before heading west with stops in Tallulah, Monroe, Gibsland and Menden before tying up for the night in Bossier City just across the Red River from Shreveport. Trains were already running before the sun rose high enough for photos. As info KCS has quite a challenge running trains through Vicksburg as the mile or so eastbound approach from LA to cross the Mississippi River into MS as well as the quarter mile long bridge itself has a ten mph speed restriction. The line immediately enters a tunnel with very tight curvature then begins a steep climb up the bluffs to get out of the River plain which involves a third tunnel more tight curves and steep grades for six or seven miles before gaining fairly lever ground for the run to Jackson. First shot of the morning was of the Vicksburg Southern switching in the exIC exICG exMidSouth exKCS yard along the river (top). The second westbound of the morning, a runthrough NS-KCS-UP intermodal had a surprise leader as it descended the steep grade at CP East Vicksburg (middle) right on his heals was a turn out of High Oak Yard in Jackson to interchange with the Vicksburg southern shown in the siding at Vicksburg adjacent the Vicksburg Southern yard (bottom) . . nine more to come . . .

Date: 10/21/14 18:27
Re: on the road again five . . .

. . . after backing it's short interchange train into the VS yard job JB101 had to come through the yard (top) to get on the north end of it's outbound train to back out of the yard into the KCS Vicksburg siding before heading east back to Jackson. After quite a wait for a track inspector the job was climbing hard out of the tunnel three around twenty mph tight curves (middle) on it's return trip to Jackson. Now headed west in LA I heard an eastbound calling signals so took Hwy 80 following the Vicksburg Sub catching him at a crossing near Rayville (bottom). . . . six more to come . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/14 18:40 by 3rdswitch.

. . . entering Monroe this job was returning from the east lite (top). Hearing the train that I missed first thing this morning departing Monroe after making a setout decided to give chase catching up to him at Choudrant (middle) them getting ahead of him again at Gibsland (bottom) home of the Louisiana and Northwest which was no where to be found? Must have been tied up and put away in the shop just out of sight to the right of the crossing in the distance. Until KCS rebuild of the Vicksburg Sub this was an old fashion gate protected interlocking. . . three more, almost done . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/14 18:49 by 3rdswitch.

. . . stopping off in Menden discovered that a short line has taken over operations of the old KCS line here (top), no idea what it is called? After arriving in Bossier City and checking into the motel I headed into Shreveport to see what I could find and with the sun slipping away caught an eastbound headed for the Vicksburg Sub climbing out of what is locally referred to as the "rathole" (middle) and before heading back to the room found this nicely illuminated pair of UP lease units parked under the I-20 overpass. Not a bad day five, tomorrow KCS Shreveport to Rich Mountain.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/14 18:54 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 10/21/14 19:02
Author: Cajon92

Another great series, JB. Thanks for sharing,

~Ryan

Date: 10/21/14 19:27
Author: zfan

Great shots!

Date: 10/21/14 21:08
Author: DynamicBrake

Great group JB, especially the KCS light engines and the last shot. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/22/14 02:09
Author: rrpreservation

This a great set of photos, thanks for sharing them!

Date: 10/22/14 05:19
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/22/14 06:32
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 10/22/14 07:00
Author: SP8595

Score on the KCS action! Shot #5 is Great with you "knee deep" in the kudzu:} Also nice looking V&S power.

Date: 10/22/14 08:41
Author: spider1319

Good job and a great trip.Bill Webb

Date: 10/22/14 09:19
Author: ns2557

JB, Up along the north side there in Bossier City is/were 2 SW Type units easily shot. One was an SW1 and the other an ex MP SW1200. They are on/off of I820 near Cross Lake. If I recall correctly, there is a Harley Davidson Dealership in front on the State Hwy here. Also, if ya can time it right a nice shot can be had of SB KCS trains coming out of Deramus Yrd along the lake. The SW units by the way are operated by a Rock quarry/transfer business. The last time I went thru, both units were still there. Nice shots btw. Ben

Date: 10/22/14 18:39
Author: nwkrailfan

Your first shot in the last set of photos is the Louisiana Southern Railroad owned by Watco. Great photos!

Date: 10/23/14 19:32
Meridian speedway .
Author: mp208

I too was traveling west on Int 20 from Tuscaloosa to Bossier City on the 21st. Caught a westbound stacker at Gibsland and another westbound in Bossier City at the (UP)diamond with a eastbound KCS train waiting, along with a southbound UP. It was busy!!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/23/14 19:46
Re: Meridian speedway .
Author: mp208

The diamond at Gibsland, LA is now an OWLS (One Way Low Speed) diamond thus the lack of a loud clatter as the westbound passes at speed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0806 seconds