Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Menoken runaround

Date: 10/22/14 07:30
Menoken runaround
Author: santafe199

Last week I spent a fun day chasing around Uncle Pete’s mainline between Topeka & Marysville, KS. Earlier in the day Mr ‘mg8711’ & I had bagged a late Southwest Chief with a BNSF SD leading so the rest of the day was pure gravy. Here’s one of those happy accidents of being in the right place at the right time. We spotted a parked auto rack train at NW 25th in the outskirts of Topeka. We shot the usual 2 or 3 angles and were almost back in the car when I thought I heard a faint horn. I swiveled around to took another look at the controlled signals at Menoken Jct. Aha… the previously all-red signal for main #2 was now flashing yellow.

Here are a few shots of just another ‘Menoken Runaround’…

1. & 2. UP 3834 sits inert on main #1 at NW 25th St crossing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/14 07:34 by santafe199.

Date: 10/22/14 07:32
Re: Menoken runaround

3. 4. & 5. UP 7683 rolls by eastbound with a manifest.
(5 photos taken October 18, 2014 at Menoken Jct in Topeka, KS)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 10/22/14 07:53
Author: Chooch

Wonderful, great pictures. Thanks very much. Love seeing locomotives leaning into a curve.

Jim

Date: 10/22/14 09:03
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Any idea of when the tie and steel gang are to start work ?

Date: 10/22/14 09:35

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
> Any idea of when the tie and steel gang are to start work...

Lately I've noticed a pretty large buildup of material & equipment in several spots around the UP between KC & Marysville. So a semi-educated guess says they are gearing up for a huge project, probably next spring? Maybe Mr. "imrl" can give us some further details...

Lance

Date: 10/22/14 11:32
Author: imrl

The tie gang is going on now. I've heard the steel gang has its equipment here so it may start as soon as the tie gang is finished. I am currently on week 3 of a 6 week break due to a new addition to the family so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Date: 10/22/14 16:55
Author: EspeeGoldenState

When I went down 24 today, there was a short rail train just westbound under 4. Those two ex MP cabooses on either end add character to the train. Didn't look like they was dropping any rail though. There was tons of MoW as I went south on Topeka Blvd though.

Date: 10/23/14 06:38
Author: oklachaser

Great series of photos Lance.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1316 seconds