Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Warbonnet Wednesday and...

Date: 10/22/14 07:40
Warbonnet Wednesday and...
Author: FrontRangeTrains

Some Fall Colors. On Tuesday's, Thursday's, and sometimes Sunday's, the BNSF Buck Local that's based in Longmont, CO makes their run over the former CB&Q/BN Lyons Branch from Longmont to Lyons, a few miles to the west. For a few weeks, the power on the local has been a pair of Warbonnet painted B40-8W's in numerical order (BNSF 520 and 521). Yesterday, they had to bring loaded coal and empty cement. Generally, the train would pull right into the plant, but since the run-around track was occupied, they had to run their power around the train at Western Spur (east of Lyons) so they can shove in. Once they dropped off their cut, they picked up their 27 cars and headed back to Longmont with empty coal cars and loaded cement.

===========================================================================================

1) After knocking down the derails and lining the switches, the Buck Local shoves their train into the CEMEX Cement Plant outside of Lyons.

2) About 45 minutes later, the train crosses the 63rd Street crossing between Lyons and Hygiene.

3) Back in Longmont, the train is passing the Time-Call Spur, which at one time was part of the original CB&Q Buck Wheat branch. The train is currently on the shoe-fly that was built in the 1970's to connect to the former C&S now BNSF Front Range Subdivision.

Thanks for looking!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 10/22/14 09:26
Re: Warbonnet Wednesday and...
Author: myjbh1989

Now I love the Super Fleet paint job, but the font on the side of those engines is really ugly. The Santa Fe isn't that bad and kind of disguises it, but the BNSF on that trailing unit is just god awful. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs a different job (yeah I know I'm fifteen years too late to complain!).

I love your shots! #3 is great. The BWs are one of the best looking locos IMO (at least when new and in good paint). The back to back Warbonnet is a thing of beauty, even if a little tainted. I surely was born a decade too late and missed all this.

Date: 10/22/14 12:09
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 10/22/14 14:34
Author: nycman

Nice composition, John. I will once again ask the BNSF to restore the paint on one or more of those Warbonnets back to their original lustre.

Date: 10/23/14 00:37
Author: boiler77

Hi John,
thank you for this great compositions.
It is autumn now!!
Phil

Date: 10/23/14 06:40
Author: oklachaser

Great photos & composition.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1215 seconds