Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again seven . .

Date: 10/23/14 17:36
on the road again seven . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . . unfortunately my sun luck ran out awaking this morning to solid cover and drizzle. KCS was busy over Rich Mountain this day however so when you get lemons you make lemonade, I was there, trains were there. Followed this northbound out of Mena where I spent the night in a WAY TOO GENEROUSLY rated two star motel (Priceline will hear about this one) as he was climbing Rich Mountain near CP South Rich Mountain (top). He met a southbound grain load at the top at Rich Mountain siding shown at the same spot as above (middle) later another southbound was climbing near CP North Rich Mountain (bottom) . . . six more to come . . .

Re: on the road again seven . .

. . . the sun actually came out for about ten minutes for a shot of an AOK switcher sitting on the old Rock Island "Choctaw" main line at Howe complete with still standing exRock signals deactivated and doing nothing except providing a nice prop (top) With the sun now gone again KCS ran this four unit lite engine north out of Heavener (middle) then I went to check out the big grain facility located a mile or so east of Heavener on the old KCS Walden branch and was pleasantly surprised to find a Watco shortline has taken over the operation of this branch as they were struggling to lift twenty or so loads out of town east (bottom) up the branch . . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 17:43 by 3rdswitch.

. . . here they are again with their pair of exK&O GP's working hard at the top of the climb a few miles east of Heavener (top). On arrival back in Heavener was joined by three great guys on a trip of their own from PA, IL, MD two of which are TO members. Small world. It was great meeting and talking to J, J and D (did I mess up again ?) and enjoying lunch together at the Southern Belle diner, a great little place with awesome sandwiches, thanks for allowing me to join you guys, hope you have a great rest of your trip! After lunch another southbound grain train departed shown two miles south of Heavener (middle) and FINALLY the sun came out for what ended up being MY last shot of the day as a southbound had to use the Walden branch for a tail track (bottom) to make a sizable setout in Heavener yard.
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 17:53 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 10/23/14 17:56
Author: oklachaser

Really great photos yet again.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 10/23/14 17:56
Author: rrartist

Absolutely stunning images!!! Thanks for sharing these!

Date: 10/23/14 18:14
Author: SCKP187

Great catches JB, especially finding the Walden Branch with that much activity on it.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/24/14 19:46
Author: JayK

Great meeting you and enjoying lunch together. Yeah, you remembered the names correctly, hope you have a safe trip home.

Jim, John, and Dwayne.

Date: 10/27/14 15:44
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds