Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Does anyone wash power anymore?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/23/14 17:48
Does anyone wash power anymore?
Author: TheGrande

Working for the CP, I'm quite familiar with some of the dirtiest units on the road, but was wondering if there was a Class one out there that still runs their power through the wash? Aside from special trains and such?

Date: 10/23/14 17:54
Re: Does anyone wash power anymore?
Author: judahrice

I'd assume all Class Ones wash power, its just maybe that they only way locos that aren't used as much or in an area where they won't build up as much dust, soot, e.t.c.

Date: 10/23/14 18:23
Author: ktm-450

Washing power does not get the freight moved; probably a simple cost-cutting idea that they've all adopted. Especially if you're running over Donner or similar lines, what's the point?

Date: 10/23/14 18:28
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

TheGrande Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Working for the CP, I'm quite familiar with some
> of the dirtiest units on the road, but was
> wondering if there was a Class one out there that
> still runs their power through the wash? Aside
> from special trains and such?

the SP used to run every consists that as destined for the service track at Taylor Yard through the locomotive washrack... Now days do not believe that the major roads besides the Sante Fe washes their fleet.

Date: 10/23/14 18:35
Author: Ray_Murphy

ktm-450 Wrote:
> Washing power does not get the freight moved;
> probably a simple cost-cutting idea that they've
> all adopted. Especially if you're running over
> Donner or similar lines, what's the point?

That's the ghetto mentality that's now affected the corporate boardroom.

Ray

Date: 10/23/14 18:48
Author: pmack

MRL washes their power. Or rather a contractor washes MRL power.

Date: 10/23/14 18:52
Author: NSDTK

MRL Used to was the SD70ACe's every 3 days. Any one know if thats still the case ?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/23/14 19:10
Author: Frontrunner

The CEO of the late great ESPEE once said a dirty motor pulls just as good as a clean motor. Actually it might pull a little better because the added weight of the dirty n grime may give it a little more traction, lol.

Date: 10/23/14 19:26
Author: barrydraper

Amtrak washes power and cars at the end points of the runs.

Barry Draper

Date: 10/23/14 19:28
Author: MrMRL

Now, I can only really speak in regards to BNSF Commerce Diesel Facility east of Los Angeles, CA. But I can safely assume the following issues are major contributing factors nation wide. The large US railroads are under serious pressure to improve performance times, hasten power turnaround, eliminate equipment dwell, and cut spending costs all at the same time. In most cases there is barely enough time to wipe off the bug scum of the windows of the lead locomotives in an outbound consist before it is needed to depart the next soon to be late freight train. Add to that, many if not most regional diesel facilities lack the large roll-through wash racks, or in some cases probably wouldn't even be allowed to utilize them if the region is under any state wide water restrictions due to drought conditions.

The best hope for most power is a good clean soaking rain at high speed. But that only works for about the first half of a lead unit as the vibration and ensuing wind generated by that high speed just ends up kicking up dust, particulate, and general muck off the surrounding terrain. Kinda like that nasty spray you get kicked up on the highway behind other vehicles or trucks, especially when things begin to dip below freezing.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/23/14 19:30
Author: trkspd

Every leading locomotive gets washed....on the INSIDE.
LOL
With all the herpes, Ebola, flu, and stink eye floating around seems like every outbound crew spends the first half hour of their run sanitizing the entire cab of their lead loco.

I settle for just wiping down the radio phone piece, dial pad, desk surface, and light dimmer knobs/switches.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/23/14 19:33
Author: tomstp

The UP still washes power in Ft Worth. Of course down here and enroute here from K C, New Orleans, south Texas, or L A they don't run through tunnels like they do further north. Just imagine the soot engines collect as they travel the Moffat route.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 19:38 by tomstp.

Date: 10/23/14 19:56
Author: mmciau

It certainly looks like MRL in Montana look after their fleet. Mind you, their selected colour scheme 'hides' dirt better than some others.

Michael McInerney
Marion, South Australia,

Date: 10/23/14 20:04
Author: Realist

UP ran into trouble with the California environazis about
washing their power in Roseville.

Date: 10/23/14 20:26
Author: GTWMISteve

Realist Wrote:
> UP ran into trouble with the California
> environazis about
> washing their power in Roseville.
Give me a fricking break! Damn hippies!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/23/14 20:43
Author: cctgm

Here at the CCT every engine gets washed every 30 days and the engine rooms are pressure washed on the 92 day inspections . Of course we only have 7 locomotives . But the remark that a dirty engine pulls as well as a clean one is true, but clean locomotives promote a company as being we'll run and employees have pride and better moral when working on a clean locomotive. We do our own locomotive washing and our employees are sure to keep the cabs clean every day

Date: 10/23/14 20:43
Author: railstiesballast

I think by now even California (Roseville) conservatives would rather see the water go to irrigation and domestic use than to wash locomotives.

And anywhere in the nation we should want any railroad's discharge water to be properly treated.
People who advocate taking care of our waters are not "environazies", we are just trying to be good custodians of our common home.

Date: 10/23/14 20:45
Author: DynamicBrake

ktm-450 Wrote:
> Washing power does not get the freight moved;
> probably a simple cost-cutting idea that they've
> all adopted. Especially if you're running over
> Donner or similar lines, what's the point?

Very true, however I would think that clean power = good advertising.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/23/14 20:59
Author: wa4umr

Although it's an eastern road, I can't recall ever seeing a dirty locomotive on R.J.Corman. Mr. Corman took pride in his railroad and his other rail businesses. Everything was painted red with white trim. The locomotives, the trucks, even his air craft. Since his death the company has continued to practice.

John

Date: 10/23/14 21:17
Author: fulham

On the UP across Nebraska, the only clean power you ever see is new power.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds