Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Depot, Cedar City, UT

Date: 10/23/14 18:36
Depot, Cedar City, UT
Author: ATSF2324

Used to be another "Gateway to the National Parks".
What year was it last used?
Gus

Date: 10/23/14 18:50
Re: Depot, Cedar City, UT
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

As part of the service cutbacks, UP stopped running the Utah Parks Special seasonal trains into Cedar City and, instead, started dispatching the tour buses to/from the station at Lund, on the mainline. I'm not sure what year that took place.

There was a good article in the UP Historical Society's magazine, THE STREAMLINER, that covered the Cedar City train-bus operation. There used to be a balloon track behind the station with some stub tracks contained within the balloon track.

At the peak of the Utah Parks train-bus tour business, there used to be a rest facility / meal dining hall in Kanab, UT where the bus passengers took a rest and meal break. I have never seen a photo of this facility and do not know if it still exists.

Date: 10/23/14 19:03
Author: ATSF2324

Thanks for the info!

Gus

Date: 10/24/14 09:59
Author: callum_out

My guess at this point would be 1969.

Out

Date: 10/24/14 12:55

I'm pretty sure they quit running the passenger train into Cedar City sometime in the late 1950s. I have a brochure from 1962 outlining the train-bus tours and everything was being done from Lund.

Date: 10/24/14 15:10
Author: callum_out

There were several special trains in the late sixties, for some reason
1969 sticks.

Out

Date: 03/23/20 16:36

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There were several special trains in the late sixties, for some reason 1969 sticks.

You're not confusing those with a couple of special trains that ran in 1969 for the Brown Bros. - Harriman banking firm are you?  Those were two trains of about twenty cars each, plus a pilot train, that ran from Seattle to Ketchum, ID for a big conference that was at Sun Valley.  

TRAINS magazine had some photos of those trains taken by the Henry Griffiths father-and-son team betwen Boise and Orchard.  Those are the ONLY photos I've seen of those trains.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds